Carb Setup

Ron Earp

Admin
How many RF folks are running carbs?

The factory manual has the routing for the FI car, as that is what the RF fuel tanks etc. are designed for.

But, if one wants to run carbs how do you incorporate the swirl pot?

The carbs do not need a return since they'll only run a few pounds of pressure and the floats will take care of the rest.

Also, I am going to use two pumps, one for each tank, and would like to use a third to transfer fuel between the two tanks. Any thoughts?

Any diagrams or advice?

R

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp - Admin- ]

3 Holley blue pumps. One on the left pumping into the swirl pot, one on the right pumping into the swirl pot. Then one pumping from the swirl pot to the carb.

Ron

The RF main fuel tanks are quite long and have the pickup at the rear. I think it would make it useful to use the surge tank anyway to ensure you dont end up draining the float bowls when the car was parked down hill and the tanks were low. This would mean a setup like Gordon suggested. You could incorporate your fuel transfer requirement by returning fuel from your surge tank to the main tanks in the same way that the EFI cars do. You could have a two way valve like the EFI cars but could control it independently via a switch separate to the fuel change over.

This configuration would allow you to take fuel from either tank to the surge tank, and have it return from the surge tank to either main tank. If it were returning to a tank which is not feeding then it is transfering.

Have not tried this but it is theoretically possible.

Regards John

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
John,

The tanks are long and have a boss welded at the rear for fuel pick up but there are a series of baffles and internal pipe work that I do not wish to elaborate on. There is NO need to use the swirl pot for normal use but I would recommend its use for racing, especially ovals. This would reduce the chance of starvation.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron,

I have a high pressure EFI pump with a Holley fuel pressure regulator set at 5lbs for my 750 Edelbrock. I plan to tee off of the regulator return line to the tank supply
lines in order to transfer fuel, via a separate switch. No need for a third pump,
only manifold switches.

Bill

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Back