Getting Ready for my CAV40

First Pic of my new engine that I building for my soon to be here CAV-40. New Explorer Roller block,Boss 302 crank, Comp roller cam, H-beam rods, Keith Black pistons, Edelbrock heads and Very Cool Parts stack Inj. Will post some more pics as I progress.

Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19073-Lump#2.jpg
    19073-Lump#2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,514
A little bit closer every day. The pistons and rods went in fine. Checked out the oil pump (clearances and deburred) and I am now building the oil pan. I don't want to wait 4-8 weeks and then maybe end up with something I didn't like or have a problem. I should be installing it this weekend. Stay tuned.
VIC
CAV40

Attachments

• 19152-block -2B.jpg
    19152-block -2B.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,725
You say you are using Keith Black pistons, are these the hypereutectic ones? I am being recommended these over TRW 2249 forged pistons but also have heard they can break top rings as the heat is reflected from the silicone content. Why did you chose them, do you have prior experience?

I have used Hypertectic pistons in many of the engines I have built. The instruction sheet (which many people don't read) states that the ring gap is set differently than the norm (.004 gap per inch of bore) Keith black pistons recomend .0065 gap per inch of bore, which means I set the gap on my rings at .026. I like hypertectic pistons as they fit the bore with less piston to wall clearance, thus there is less noise and less piston rock. I have no problems with any of the engines I have built, and some of the guys run the laughing gas (my son).

VIC
CAV-40 #51
owner built engine
Lemans blue
Getrag trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well my oil pan project turned out to be a bust! I made an error in my measurements and the pan would not clear the main girdle. So I decided to try again, but the sheet metal shop where I get the "T" portion of the pan bent was shut down for 2 weeks vacation (never fails to amaze me of road blocks when you are in a hurry). I called the parts supplier I get most my peices from and, TADA!, they had the proper Canton oil pan in stock! I will be installing the injection manifold tomorrow or the Webers to look at both and will have some pics to post.

Vic

CAV-40 #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag trans

O.K., Chris where are those Gurney-Westlake Valve Covers? I toiled long today to get where the engine is as you see it.
Valves are adjusted, manifold trial fit and also the special small Dist. Cap to make sure I have clearance. I have a few odds and ends, but nothing major.

Vic

CAV-40 #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag trans

Attachments

• 19631-40Aspec.jpg
    19631-40Aspec.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,712
Vic,
That engine is a beauty !! Don't get in a hurry Buddy, You want to be sure it's right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I enjoyed meeting you at the fling and I sure hope next year you get to bring the GT.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gee that looks good! Its doing 6500prm standing still!! The induction setup is right on the money.

Well here is another look. This time with Webers, they are just a good looking to my eye as the Injection. Came into the house from the shop this morning and heard on the answering machine my car made port and is waiting to go thry customs. Yahooooooo

Vic
CAV-40 #51
Leman Blue
Owner Built 302
Getrag Trans

Attachments

• 19737-weber#1A.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3,936
Well here is another look. This time with Webers, they are just a good looking to my eye as the Injection. Came into the house from the shop this morning and heard on the answering machine my car made port and is waiting to go thry customs. Yahooooooo

Vic
CAV-40 #51
Leman Blue
Owner Built 302
Getrag Trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19738-weber#1A.jpg
    19738-weber#1A.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,301
Picked up my beautiful 40 Sat (7-12) and I must say that I am very pleased. There was a mix up in the chassis number as I was told it was #51, but upon arrival it is actually #49. No big deal! Now the fun begins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 20194-40-1A.jpg
    20194-40-1A.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,180
A few of my gearhead buddies have dropped by to look at the car and all are amazed at the quality of the vehicle. The fit and finish is as good as any high end sports car made. I am trying to get the thing together, but spend a few minutes just sitting back and admiring how good it looks.

Vic
CAV-40 #49

Vic

I saw the CAV at Carlisle. Indeed...very nice.
It sounds like the CAV is only being sold turnkey in the UK,
which is making it too expensive for our UK friends.
That's unfortunate.

MikeD

Well the Lump as Fran Hall calls it, has been in and out a few times. If I am correct, it's home for good now. Every thing clears and I think it looks good in it's new home.

Attachments

• 21157-install#3.jpg
    21157-install#3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,570
Back