Bundle of Snakes

I was recently introduced to an engineer who used to do the design work at one of the big racing exhaust manifold companys. Seems he has access to the computers which design exhaust systems. If they have a copy, the computer does some touchy feely things, and feeds the data into the computer and the computer makes the exact copy of the tubing. My exhaust are not the size that I would like (1 1/2 inch ), and one of the pipes has a welded section in the middle of it.
This engineer is one of the guys that cameup with the idea several years ago of "stepped" exhaust. That is, the size of the exhaust pipe changes as the lenght increases. The theory goes that the gasses cool and shrink the farther away from the combustion chamber they get. So to mantain the velocity, the diameter changes. Something along that line.
Anyway,,, I have aproached(?) him about making me a new set of exhaust, and I don't know if he will, but why not make a bach run of say ten or so.
Price has not been discussed at this point as it was a casual conversation, but I think the price for some headers that he made for some local drag racers was around 4 to $600 with ceramic coating. That was a year or two ago, but that seems like a good price to me. Those who had some made by the infamous George should know better than I what a good price would be.
These tubes are single piece tubes, not pieced together. They would be on a single flange. I believe the drag racers came as single and they had to be cut so they could be strung aroud starters, frame members etc. The only connection would be the collector which could be any size you wanted acording to Jegs or Summit catalog. I remember the ad stated any size in and any size out and the lenght was around 8 inches stainless or ceramic coated.
I would like to know if there is any interest in this and what a fair price would be? More details to follow
Bill

Bill

I'd be interested, depending on product/price.
I believe George sold coated system for
around $ 1600. However that was complete, front to back.
Something less than that would have to be less cost,
and the balance of the system really needs to be done
at the same time prior to coating. Otherwise you can get
a mis-match. One issue will be appearance. Some folk may not like the stepped headers since they are made with mis-matching pipe size....not attractive. Also, what is the
"pattern" that your guy would start with? The system DRB
sells is OK...but not as nice as others...pipes are too straight. Batch of (10) may be tough.

MikeD

I am interested in a set of exhaust or at least the headers as the ones I currently have are kind of crudely home made although effective not very pretty to look at. If any one has a used set I would be interested in those also.

Back