12V Air compressor

Can anyone reccomend a small/lightweight air compressor that will run on 12V. I have done a quick search of my local suppliers but no success.
The unit needs to produce around 15-20psi.
Regards, Paul.

Both KAB and Isringhausen make small compact air compressors to inflate the air bag in operator seats used in trucks and machinery.I do not know about Isri but KAB use it in their 55 model air seat.You might try some of the wreckers first.Compressor will inflate to 120psi if required.Regards

The Mercedes SLK has a small compressor as standard to blow up the spare if required. This may be a line of enquiry. Regards

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,
There are all sorts of things here in Italy but do you know what cubic feet per minute you need and what's it's purpose to give some sort of clue. I use 12v compressors to put up 12m masts on my equipment and they are supplied by Clark Mast Teksam Ltd. in the Isle of Wight, but they are rather heavy with all sorts of safety cutouts and controls etc.
Dave

Dave,
I am looking into the possibility of a pneumatic gearchange system. The development is still in it's early stages & may or may not be a viable option. I'll let you guys know how we get on.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, That would be amazing but ... surely it would need reasonably high pressure to use small enough rams to be effective. Hydraulic and/or wire control using selsyn/desyn was a consideration on mine but then discounted in favour of a remarkeable series of levers and rod ends operating a single shaft.
regards
Dave M

Hi Paul,

Roy and I have toyed with such an idea, to the point of identifying suitable cylinder rams. They can be sourced from as little as 10mm bore of varying stroke. We considered using a bottle of compressed gas for mobile testing purposes and a diving bottle for bench testing. (both suitably regulated to say about 8 bar) The small disposable mig bottles you can get can provide 100psi+ and could possibly be the basis of a resevoir topped by a small electric compressor.

When we went to SPA a couple of years ago, we came across a caterham or similar that was indeed fitted with a pneumatic shifter (USA sourced) that was contolled by a small box of electronics via two push buttons on the steering wheel. The system was all the more useful for the driver to whom we spoke with, as he had unfortunately lost an arm in a previous accident (motorcycle?). EauRouge in a 40 was great but with only one hand on about a 10" steering wheel - very brave!!

Good luck Paul and keep us posted.

(ps - keypad is being posted tomorrow - sorry for delay)

Back