Which way would you go? 400 Hp 306 or 331?

Title pretty much says it all. Getting ready to start the engine build/search/purchase. Since I don't need more than ~ 400 hp I was wondering which way you guys would recommend getting to that level. 306 or stroked to 331. I don't need to scream the engine (6500 rpm would be an acceptable redline) and the car will see 95% street with only limited track fun days - not for serious competition. Chassis is a DRB and has a Porsche G50 transaxle.

Also, why would you choose one over the other.

Thanks for your inputs

Dave Harris

Since you have a strong gearbox and don't care to rev the engine over 6500 rpm, your goal of 400 hp can be achieved more easily, reliably, and at a lower cost with the 331.

Personally, I would opt for the high-rev 306 because nothing sounds like a high-rev small block at full song through a crossover bundle of snakes exhaust system (except maybe a high-rev big block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), and because generation of lower torque at higher rpm would be somewhat easier on my gearbox. I would also recommend you pony up the extra bucks for a Dart aluminum block if you can afford it.

Being biased I would recommend the 331. You can easily get 400HP from it. I got 450HP at 6600RPM. It's a bloody good way to do it.

Regards,

J.P

Thanks JP - Would you mind sharing some of the specifics on what you put into your motor? (I tried searching, but did not see anything from you on this).

cheers

dave

Back