Oil filters

Ron Earp

Admin
Doe sa standard FL-1A filter fit or do I need to use my relocation kit? I have a relocation kit for two filters, any recommended place to put it if needed?

Thanks,
Ron

Mine has the everyday Ford filter.
Same one as every 302 (Mustang) through the 60's/70's used.
Don't recall the number off hand but I believe you have it right, or is it a FL-100?
I don't know, but full size and the same that was on all my Mustangs.
John

How's this? Fram PH8A

Attachments

• 26599-belt spacers ALT3.jpg
    26599-belt spacers ALT3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 339

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't know about Fram but I've been putting FL-1As on Fords since I was 8, no kidding. The Fram seems about the same, so there is enough clearance to get one on and off with no trouble?

R

Should be no problem at all. And yes other than the number and color they are the same filters.
John

The FL-100 is a short verson of the FL-1A. It was used on the 90s F-series trucks when fitted with the optional oil coolers.
FWIW the Motorcraft FL-1A is a Purolator filter, Pure one IIRC.

Jim

The Motocraft part no for the FL-1A is D9AZ6731A, under which it is often listed for equivalence purposes.
The Fram PH-8A is a (much cheaper) replacement, identical in form, fit and function.

[ QUOTE ]
The Motocraft part no for the FL-1A is D9AZ6731A, under which it is often listed for equivalence purposes.
The Fram PH-8A is a (much cheaper) replacement, identical in form, fit and function.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fram is certainly not identical in function. If you care about your engine, you will go out of your way to avoid Fram filters. If you don't believe me, here's some tech. Here's some more.

Because of my air conditioner compressor, I have to run a slimmer filter. The filter body diameter is just a little bigger than the gasket and threads onto the 302 fitting fine. The Fram number is PH2825. I thought I'd add this in case anyone couldn't fit the regular fat PH8A or FL1A.

Great page on filters! I have only had trouble with one filter cartridge out of 9 used on my 330 hp 302. The Fram guts came loose just before I was ready to change the oil!.The Motorcraft's have never given me any problem and from now on thats all I will use.

I am currently using the Morosso Racing BY22470 oil filter. Have e-mailed Russell from that Mopar site. Hope to see what he makes of them?

I know some of the frams have flow problems at high rpm, I know some F2000 guys that have lost engines because of this,, when racing I have had good luck with wix,, great page on the filters ,, thanks Mark.regards,,, Dan

Oh snap!
Anybody want to buy a slightly used Fram filter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Cheap!!!

I suggest that anybody serious about their engine buy a few different filters then cut them open and inspect them. You don't need to be a technician to see how bad some filters are. While you're delving around inside, make sure you look at the bypass mechanism. Any bypassing filter will allow dirty oil through the engine but some actually wash the dirty side of the filter with the oil before letting it flow on through the engine... I kid you not.

If you get a non-bypassing filter just make sure it can flow enough oil for your engine and still filter it.
Filters sure ain't filters.
I won't name brands on a public forum but some of them should not be called filters at all, it's misleading.
Also, once you've looked inside it's surprising how "similar" some filters are to "other" brands. Perhaps "identical bar the paint job" might be a better description. In some cases it's a pretty expensive paint job as well.
See if you can find the brand with the "cardboard" internals.

Oh and be careful you don't cut yourself.

Tim.

When I was a member of the Superformance Cobra's user group there was a similar article about oil filters. One of the guys cut a dozen or so oil filters open and examined their innards. Unfortunately, I can't reference the article here as once I sold my cobra I lost access to the web site. Fram was one of the ones found to be of dubious quality. One of the better filters turned out to be the Mobil One synthetic oil filter. Is anybody using synthetic oil in their engine?

Ron Earp

Admin
Fram filters are not good, as they say, cut it open and see. FMS are fine so I'll stick with the FL-1A and I think I will use the dual remote mount. If anything it will add some oil to the system but before anyone uses a remote mount make sure the flanges etc. are of good quality. A couple of fellows on the Cobra board runied motors with cracked flanges and hooking the lines up wrong.

Current driving RF owners - is there enough room between the front of the motor and lower part of the firewall to mount a oil filter remote set up? I'm talking about just to the left of the centeral tunnel and about 8-9" from the bottom of the car?

R

R

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ron,

We use that area for the coil packs (see the latest pictures of the stainless steel car). You can fit a remote filter but I would combine it with a remote cooler and mount them both at the rear of the car beside the gearbox. The filter could be mounted on the diagonal rail from the top shocker mount down to the rear body hinge position and the cooler adjacent to one of the rear side body openings (vents). I have seen this done in England by the boys over there and it always looks good and seems to work well. My only reservation is that those vents are a ZERO pressure area and a small 12 volt fan which is operated by a thermo couple monitoring the engine bay temp would work MUCH better.

A bit to think about there !!!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I forgot to welcome Tim (roaldin) to the fold. We are building a turn key car for Tim and this car will be VERY special (he can give you the specs). The car is leaving for the spray shop in TWO days and the engine is being built in the US by Jerry (jercarnut). I will have to test drive her and I can not wait !!!!

Tim has a great collection of VERY fast VERY high spec cars and again I will let him tell you. Enough said that he has EIGHT POT AP RACING callipers on one of his road cars. Tim is a stickler for the detail and it is a pleasure dealing with people who need that detail.

Welcome Tim.

Best wishes,

Robert

Thank's Robert. Both you and your business are a pleasure to deal with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The eight spots are Brembos BTW. (There I go stickling detail again). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I took a photo' today of three of the filters that remain from the pre mortem that we performed. Two have been mentioned here, the other is one I like.
I have a lot to say about one of them but I think I'd better not.
I have been using Hard Driver filters for a while now.
There are also a couple of "competition only" non bypass filters available that are of very high quality. Unfortunately I don't have photo's of them.

Tim.

Attachments

• 26801-Filters1s.JPG
    26801-Filters1s.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 352
Welcome to the forum Tim.
I hope I can see some of those classics you have some day in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks too for the filter info. I always wondered about these things and if they really are as good as they say. I'll try the HD-1.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back