HELP! Renault UN1

Need some help here. Might be more directed to you fellows across the pond in the mighty U.K. I've found a Renault Medallion. It's supposed to have a UN1 transaxle in it. Nobody in the U.S. sell renault anymore, at least not that I can find. How can you tell what model and type the transaxle is. I know where to look for the Audi's, but not for the Renaults. The VIN (vehicle ident. number for the non-yanks) is VF1FH45B4J2731281. Where can I cross ref. this number to establish tranny type. I'm in dire need of this info post haste. HELP, HELP, HELP.

Thanks Guys,

Jim Downard

Jim,
The renaults have an aluminum tab on the rear lower middle bolt that will say UN1 then the model number (13 on the 21 Turbo ) and the transaxle serial number.Unfortunately this tab is often missing if the transaxle has been worked on.Not sure if the Eagle transaxle has the same tab. I went to my local Jeep /Chrysler dealer last week to see if I could get axle seals because I had read on the forum that the Eagle Medallion was basically the Renault with UN-1 transaxle.They did not even have a sheet on the Medallion,no use at all! Best of luck
Graham W

Howard Jones

Supporter
Deloreans use the UN1's. Search for Delorean parts and go from there. There are also several user group wed sites for delorean owners. They may be of some help. Lastly search this forum for Tranaxles, Renault, R12 Turbo, etc. There is quite a bit of information here but it can take some time to sort out/though. If you can post some pictures of your box here we may be able to help.

Put it in first gear and count the ratio of input shaft to drive shaft turns. If it comes out at about 3.5 its a 3.44 dif thats in the UN1 R21 turbo box. Thats the good one. Other diff ratios are 3.89 and 4.11 if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Back