IDA's

IDA\'s

I met a guy from Weber at a car show late last year and he informed me that they were remanufacturing IDA's. He reckoned that he could supply a system for a 302 including manifold and linkages for less than £2500 inc VAT.

I have since heard that they are not as good (?) as the originals.

Has anyone any knowledge about this?

Rick

Ian Clark

Supporter
Re: IDA\'s

Hi Rick, The new 48IDAs' are not exactly the same as the originals. The new model has two progression holes instead of three making the transition from idle to part throttle not as smooth.

Also check the internal bits like idle jets, air correctors, accelerator pump bleed valves because they are probably all wrong for a GT40 application.

The "new" 48IDAs we received were set up for a 2.0 Porsche racing engine - high rpm, low to no vacumm and no concern about around town drivability. This appears to be how they're shipped.

As soon as we have a setup working well I'll post the sizes that were used. However, nothing looks like or smells like Webers!

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info.

I would love to hear about your set up when it is sorted. I would like to offer them as an option on my cars. They provide a fantastic sight in the rear view mirror, quite apart from anything else!

Rick

Rick,

Why not chat to Frank. He's done a few cars with em now. I nearly went down that path. Great if you want to be authentic, but other than that I would always go fuel injected.

Regards,

J.P

Neal

Lifetime Supporter

I have a set of the new IDAs. They were purchased from Pierce Manifolds here in the US. http://www.piercemanifolds.com

Feb05_013.jpg

All original parts are compatible with the new units. I gave Pierce my engine setup and they set the everything up to spec.

38 mm chokes
65 idle
120 holder
160 air correction
145 main (Started with 135s and it was too lean. Went to 165s too rich.)
55 bypass
F7 etube

Cost of carbs, manifold and linkage was about US$2800.

There is nothing like a set of webers popping through the rear window! Go for it...

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter

Neil,
Agree! Someday, I'd like to replace my Holley w/ IDA set up. Although I'm happy w/ Holley at present(probably less complicated to maintain than Weber?), those Weber's 8 horns looks pretty attractive from it's view.
It costs only $2,800 for all? Hmmm, I should have researched this earlier and brought back to Japan last week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks Guys,

I agree with you JP, except for the fact that I have already had LOADS of hassle with a fuel injected set up. Ask Frank, its a long story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why can't Holley's be better looking?!

Rick

Ron Earp

Admin

Rick, it can be true. FI isn't all it is cracked up to be when done the way we want wiht 8bbl setups. A friend of mine in Burlington we've been struggling to get his Motec running and it isn't that easy. Motec is stingy with bits and options, makes it hard. I feel there are definitely some more friendly setups out there that are just as good for street/track. And carbs, well, it doesn't get much simplier and in many cases better running than a good 4bbl.

Hey Neal looks good and this the same set up I'm using. Also from Pierce and used on a 351W stroked to 396. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

I would just like to put in a plug here for the Pony CArburetor guys in New York State, who recommend Autolite carbs for small-block Fords if you want to use a 4bbl.
They have a lot of experience with Fords both large and small and feel these are far superior to Holleys. Isaac Martins Ford book has addresses etc for them. If I were going to use a 4bbl I would definitely contact them.

Ron Earp

Admin

One 4bbl that doesn't get a lot of press is the Edelbrock (I think Carter makes it) unit. It is simple, uses metering rods to control fuel flow thus is these easiest to tune I've ever seen. I buddy of mine has one on a SB Ford and it just flat out works. I don't know about power comparisons with other carbs but it makes good power on his and you just can't get any easier.

I have the Edelbrock 4bbl and I noticed that it has the webber logo embossed at the back of the casting.

Ron Earp

Admin

Maybe I got it wrong. I thought Carter, but having it made by Weber certainly doesn't sound like something that is easy to adjust, does it?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nonetheless, whoever makes it they're simple to work with and seem to work well. I'd probably get a Demon for my own 4bbl having said that.

I have to agree, Edelbrock(Carter) does make a good carb.

Very easy to tune! They make great power, and throttle

response is instantaneous(my engine might have had

something to do with that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). I just happen to have a 750

CFM for sale, on a Performer RPM manifold(351W) + KN

filter. The carb is perfect, I just had to have an 8 stack

EFI system! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Somebody make me an offer I can't refuse!

Bill

Hi all -

I too very much like the look and sound of webers however there are problems. (IMHO) Both Roy and I have seen examples of premature early bore wear - which we have put down to bore wash from over fuelling at idle. Driven, i'm sure they are fine but if an engine is left to idle too long, i think they are less than ideal. Also - starting is generally more problematic compared to injection. Roy's GTD starts and idles, from hot or cold, better than it ever did on conventional carburation.

Sorry to hear your friend has had problems with the Motec system Ron - it may not be the cheapest but it still is one of the most popular for higher performance installations over here and once configured, remains reliable over many years.

8 x 54mm Kinsler / Motec - hmmmmm (just don't forget the ear plugs!)

Attachments

• 31899-RearAllGTD.JPG
    31899-RearAllGTD.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 310

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

I agree about the Edelbrock carbs- I think they are actually similar to a Carter and made by Weber overseas. They are very good; I had them on 2 454 Mercruiser Chevies in my boat (before I replaced them with CAT diesels, which make a boat go lots faster). They were easy to tune, economical, and the performance was noticeably better versus the Quadrajets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that preceded them.

Back