Water pump inlet and outlet - anyone remember?

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone remeber which small ports on the Ford SB reverse rotation pump are for inlet, i.e., back to the radiator? I'm plumbing a line from the rear of my heads (Weber manifold) to this point. I can't remember if it is the upper one, or the lower one. I'm speaking about looking at hte pump from the front, on the left hand side there are two outlets for the water heater - which one goes back to the rad? Thanks,

ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Could be but i could swear that those were hooked up to the heater core and it would make sense that one was feed and one return. But, I haven't worked on a Ford with a hooked up heater in a long time so I can't remember.

I can look at my Mustang tonight...as I recall,
the upper nipple is the bypass hose (to stat housing)
and the lower went to the heater core. The heater core
outlet plumbed into a fitting on the front of the intake.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Oh yeah, I remember that now, the heater went to this funny looking fitting on the front left of the intake if viewed from the front of the car.

So the upper is accepting water from the thermo bypass hole, right? If so then this would be where I'd want to tee in my feed from the heads, to this port to get passed back to the radiator.

Ron

Yep. The bypass connection on the water pump is on the suction leg. I guess you could tee in that line, but it's
a rather short radius 90 degree hose...not a lot of room.

On my car I ended up teeing into the main hose.
A local radiator shop simply welded a 1/2" NPT bung into a short length of 1.50 alum tubing that I spliced into the line.

MikeD

Back