UK crate engines.......

Malcolm

Supporter
Last night I did a search on the forum and got lots of prices that USA crate engines go for. Much cheaper than UK prices.

Last I knew was that Real Steel did crate engines at around £4500 for ok power output. What do people pay in the country for crate engines with/without efi?

Obviously an attractive £/$ rate is going to have an effect right now....

Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

There is a guy in UK doing 302'S including ancils for around £3-3.5k. Apparently they are pushing out about 330 - 340 hp.

You can get things cheaper in the States, which is OK until something goes wrong. I would rather pay a few quid extra over here for the peace of mind. At least you can visit the bloke!

I dont believe that you would need to pay import tax on an engine if you imported it, but you would probably need an extra 17.5% for VAT.

Drop me a mail if you want me to find the contact details for that supplier.

Rick

Rick,
Just for info I contacted the 'nice' people at HMC&E last year. Engine duty was then 2.7%, Cam Duty 4% and ignition 3.2%. This is added to their 'special' exchange rate, then they add shipping and finally add VAT. engine Factory quoted about $600 to ship to the UK.

A quick flick through Which Kit is showing:

302 @ 370bhp - £3460
351W @ 460bhp, 465 tor - £4280

or

www.britishamericanengines.co.uk - but no prices

Brett

Rick,
I am personally ordering stuff from the US and shipping to the UK. I need to get a custom ground cam from Comp Cams for what I am doing.

Personally, for the parts that I have bought, I have generally found it to work out slightly cheaper. Like I say that is for me, but just as an example; AFR 185s (with upgrade) have gone down from £1000 to £750 (due to exhange rate recently), prior to shipping and tax etc, which I estimate as $150 shipping, so probably £200-250 tax. That would cost me £1500+ in the UK. However, like I say that is my calcs and my choice, horses for courses and all that.

How is life over your way?

Brett

Brett,

Pretty good mate.

I have some interesting news about to be announced in the next week or so. Ever onwards and upwards!

There are always ways round things (usually best dealt with over a beer!

Rick

Malcolm

Supporter
This is pretty much in line with what I had been thinking. I have always imported my engines/parts before but an opportunity cropped up but with this and other research, it may be one to let slip by.

However thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Malcolm

Back