Engine Build Pics for Cannonball

Hi all:

I know how entertained I've been over the past months by most of the pictures that have been posted here. While I don't have the talent to build a 40....my engine builder and friend of the past 30 years would fit right in with some of the artistic work shown by members of this forum.

Here are a few engine pics from mock up to dyno.

Enjoy!!

This is the mock-up of the Hilborn EFI with a view of the Jesel rockers.

Attachments

• 33510-sm258.jpg
    33510-sm258.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 348
Compressor mount, oil pressure, and oil cooler in & out.

The black rod hanging down is a clearance mock-up for the throttle linkage.

Attachments

• 33511-sm289.jpg
    33511-sm289.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 319
Throttle linkage.

The bell crank he designed lets the cable come up from behind the seat and pull straight down, thereby avoiding another bend or two. Close clearances.

Attachments

• 33514-sm261.jpg
    33514-sm261.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 316
Thermostat housing.

We called this Frankenstein's (?sp) Baby. It was pretty ugly when he was done welding, and before it was polished up. It started life as a piece of tubing.

The two of the three blue lines are returning water from the front corners of the intake manifold. The lower line is returning water from the two in the back to avoid steam pockets as discussed by Blackjack in "HEY, ROB LOGAN ---".

Attachments

• 33515-sm285.jpg
    33515-sm285.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 316

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Buzz !!
Those are some very nice details, on your engine. Good luck on your Cannonball run !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards Brian

Here is the other end with the two rear water jackets merging into one line.

Attachments

• 33517-small330.jpg
    33517-small330.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 335
Kissel:

Thanks Brian! I was concentrating on trying to get to a stopping point, and didn't notice you sneak in there. I'll post more tomorrow.

very very nice. I won't even ask what it all cost, but I'll bet it's going to put out some serious ooooommmpppphhhh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simon

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Mmmmmy kinda motor--just looking at the oil pressure "switch" extension,if its the aluminium one,then its gonna break at the thread into the block--and you don't want oil spraying all over that nice motor.From my experience I use a steel one.
Anyway good luck!
Chris DRB sheik down engineer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Buzz,
Looks great, and good luck. I agree that the aluminum oil fitting might be a problem. You could run a braided hose right off the block to a remote mount sensor. This is what I did and it worked great. Rember to ground the shell of the sensor to the chassis. Also What are the lines going in the bottom of the trottle bodies on the inside. I assume that is for idle air?

Take it easy,

flatchat & Gary:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be asking Ron Whitney, my engine builder, in a few hours.

Here's another shot of those vacuum lines Gary. They go to a raised central plenum, then one fitting exits near the top of the plenum in this pic.

Attachments

• 33548-small331.jpg
    33548-small331.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 329
Almost there! Just a few ignition wires to hook-up.

Attachments

• 33561-sm313.jpg
    33561-sm313.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 329
What a work of art. Beautiful attention to detail, Buzz. Let us know how she does on the dyno. I had an engine dynoed a couple of years ago about this time. I wasn't able to be there for the session and I remember waiting anxiously for the builder to fax me the dyno sheets--

I picked the Hilborn ECU as a mid-point between a carb and a Motec controlled stack injection. Easy adjustment with a screwdriver, fewer wires, and no extra circuitry.

Attachments

• 33566-sm345.jpg
    33566-sm345.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 311
snakeeyes;

Thanks Bob. There's more on the way. Look for the 8 stack Lexan air box that I'll get up on another older thread soon.

Learning E-mail on Thursday, learning to post on Friday and learning pictures last night from 8:00 to midnight has me enthused at giving back to the forum, but a bit intimitated.

Anyway.....the engine dyno stuff is done. Over 500 in HP & Torque.

Hooken-up that Puppy.

He couldn't dyno it with the bundle of snakes because he wanted the info from the Exhaust Gas Temperature probes.

Attachments

• 33569-sm348.jpg
    33569-sm348.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 350
Back