Quaife ATB LSD - Which oil??

Those of you using the Quaife ATB LSD, what gearbox oil do you use?

I know on the older 'clutch type' LSD's, the wrong oil could really screw up the operation of the diff.

Altho the ATB uses gears rather than clutches, is the oil choice still critical?

TIA!

Hi Julian

The Quaife ATB is a clever piece of kit - and will work with a range of oils. Quaife recommend the following:

If ATB is fitted in a transmission where the oil is shared with the gears - then use the oil type recommended by the manufacturer of the unit.

If fitted in an axle, or if the rest of the 'transmission internals' are of Quaife origin - then use 75W90.

For Dog Engaged gearsets - 75W90 GL4/5
or
For Sychromesh gearsets - 75W90 GL4

They recommend/supply Silkolene as a preferred oil.

Have you souced an ATB? - they sure add to the fun of driving a 40 and powerslides become far more easily controlled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Julian,

I've opted for the Neosynthetic 75W-90RHD.

I know Quaife recommend the Silkolene oil. BUT.

Neo seems to be the dog bollocks when it comes to oil.

I think it has been dyno tested to be superior to any other gearbox oil.(independently).

It aint cheap. Cost me £71 + VAT for each tub.

Try calling the U.K agent. BG Movement 01327 855205.

Regards,

J.P

Gents,

Thanks for the input, have also checked with Quaife & looks like 75-90 is the stuff. What do the letters after the W numbers mean?

Regards,

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Julian, the type of oil you use should also be dictated by the type of synchros you have. This is true with Porsche transaxles anyway. I like you would certainly want to use the synthetic gear lube, BUT sometimes it can actually be too slippery for the synchros to work well. So, if you find that you are suddenly getting nasty gear changes, you may want to switch to dino lubricants and give them a try. Just a little something to keep in the back of your mind.

Regards,
Lynn

BTW - The Porsche guys don't recommend any kind of addative for gear type LSDs, but for clutch type (ZF) they recommend GM's LSD addative.

Back