Timing a 302

I'm in the process of installing an MSD in my car including an MSD billet distributor. When it's in, what should I set the timing at on tickover?
The engine is modified, if that makes a difference, let me know and I'll post the full spec.
Thanks.
Simon

Simon, you will need to set your distributor timing at full advance of the distributor mechanical timing, this normally about 3500RPM, and will be in the range of 34 to 37 degrees advance. I cannot advise on the exact setting without detail of the engine components, DO NOT rely on setting the distributor up at tick over, many engines have been caused serious harm that way, Frank

Howard Jones

Supporter
I set mine up on a distributor machine and it has 35 Degrees all in at 2800RPM. In the car you will need a tach that you can look at, at the same time you are looking at the timing marks on the dampner with a timing light. Get the motor running with about 6 degrees of static advance and then run up the motor to your full advance rpm. I like it lower than frank but you will need to play with your motor and see where it runs the best. When the timing stops advancing as the rpms go up record the rpm that this happens and the total advance at this point. The total advance should be about 35 degrees not to exceed 38. Set total advance to 35 degrees, tighten distributor lock down, allow motor to idle and check advance again. At about 800rpms the static advance on my motor is 10 degrees.

Either franks settings or mine will get you in the ballpark. You will be able to set advance curve with the springs that come with the dist. I used the lightest springs (lowest RPM). I should say that this is something you will need to sort out over time and come up with what works best for your motor. Pay attention to knock. If your motor detonates under load at low revs back off on how early you get to total advance first, say from 2900 to 3100, then if that does not work then reduce total advance a couple of degrees.

If you have the same billit MSD dist. as I do you will not be concerned with a vacume advance.

I have a 302 SVO motor with 9.5 to 1 compression ratio. 1.94 intake valves in GT40X alum heads. B303 cam. RPM performer intake with a mech. secondary 750 doublepumper Holly. 6AL box and mech advance billit MSD distributor. Lastly we have 91 octain gas, best, here in the Peoples Republic of Calif.

My best guess is this motor makes about 350-375 hp. It pulls very hard at about 4000-6000 rpm but idles very well at 800-900 rpms. Low end torque is very good from about 2800 or so and, pulls away without giving it any gas from idle in 2nd gear. Powerful but easy to live with.

Back