zf transaxle or porsche 930?

Hi:
I'm new to this site and have had a gt40 kit for 20 years.
Regetably only have put a couple thousand miles on it.
Currently it has a custom 2x6 square tube frame, built in 1968 and has Conn. body identifcation. Anyway, it has a smallblock chevy 327 1963 vette engine, pumped up to 450hp with a corvair transaxle that I twisted the imput shaft in half grabing second gear with hot tires. Which brings me to my question.
I want to get away from the corvair trans.for two reasons. 1. Something that can take alot of power and abuse.
2. More interior space by moving the engine farther rearward.
So what would be my best choice, the ZF or the 930 from Renegade Hybrids?
Renegade said, 700hp and 700FPT with the 930 for $7700.
Would I be beter off with the ZF?
Thanks in advance for you imput, I know this may have been covered before, but I didn't find it.
Jim

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The 930 believe it or not is rated for more HP. But you also have other options like Porsche G50 5spd (there is whole family of these.) These cost about the same as 930s. If you flip a G50 upside down you can also lower your engine. If price is an issue, then you might want to look at the Audi boxes many of the cars use. Its a nice box with a nicer price and a lot of GT40s use them with V8s. Do some searches on transaxles and you will get more info than you can read in a couple of days.

Also, I think there are some comparative docs (compare all the available transaxles you could use) on the sister site with FAQs and Docs. The link is at the top of the page(<font color="blue">Articles and Frequently Asked Questions</font>.) Also check out Kennedy Engineered Products. Renegade actually uses som KEP parts in their kits. Kennedy has a wide range of engine and transaxle choices.

Lynn

Javla
The reason that you have limited space with the corvair transaxle is that years ago there was a kit that made it possible to use that gearbox, but it included a new front bearing retainer and input shaft, these were mounted to the opposite side of the gearbox...essentially it was turned around...the problem here was that the axle centerline was moved further back necessitating a forward mounting of the motor, they worked ok but it is a 4 speed, and cast iron..seriously heavy in my opinion. If you decide on the G50 box keep in mind that the ring gear can't be flipped in this gearbox, so the whole box must be inverted, Kennedy makes an adapter to do this, using a porsche clutch, and this box is really strong, but when inverted the axle centerline is about 5" higher and unless you lower the motor substanstailly you can have some really steep angles on the cv joints. You should be able to get a G50 box much cheaper than the ZF, but the changes involved may make the ZF a lot easier to deal with
Phil

Back