Throttle cable.

Hope this is the right place, When I got my car it had been laid up for many years. I oiled the trottle cable, but it still seems to be a bit stiff in use. Is there a throttle cable available in the UK that would fit a standard GTD that gives a nice smooth operation?
I did a search and came across a reference to frank (Catt?) having some from lorries that were suitable.
Once again any advice grearfully received.
Thanks

Simon

We make custom made throttle cables to customer requirements using a cable system developed by tuthill controls for Mercedes, Frank

Simon,

I originally had a GTD 'bicycle brake style' cable which was very stiff and made the car unpleasant to control. I bought a new cable from Frank and it is enormously better with a very smooth operation. You should also follow Frank's advice on routing the cable as this i also important as it should naturally have as gentle curves as possible.

Hi Simon

When I built my KVA a couple of years ago, I bought a throtle cable from GTD, but like the previous post, it was always a bit stiff. After a short time running, it got hot and melted (too close to the exhaust).
I replaced it with a much better type from Speedy Cables (from memory , somewhere near London). This was much better quality, not difficult to fit and much better in operation. It was supposed to withstand quite a bit of heat, but I also insulated it where it passes the exhaust.

I think they sell them with different ends to suit carb fittings, the pedal end can be cut to suit. Sorry I have no phone No etc, but I am abroad at the moment.

Dave Tickle

Most throttle control problems, in my long time view, come from routing the cable close to the exhaust by coming in from the back of the engine. Carefully re route and come in from the bulkhead end, alter the thottle lever on the carb/s and always use twin return springs and you will never have any problems. So much neater, easier and reliable.

Regards,
Graham @ GTA.

Back