Sticking Clutch

I have a 302 with Ford clutch and Renault 30 gearbox. If the car has been stood for a couple of months over winter, the clutch friction plate sticks to the flywheel and won't let go. My friend and I normally fix this by one of us sitting in the car and pressing the clutch pedal and the other using a large screwdriver to lever the friction plate off the flywheel. Once freed, operation is perfect.
The levering is done via holes in the bellhousing and it can easily be seen that the pressure plate is moving back without problem when the pedal is pressed.
I don't know a lot about the clutch as I didn't specify the parts, I purchased the car part built. It is a FoMoCo unit with what look like centrifugal weights to press the pressure plate even harder as revs increase.
Other than this sticking if I don't uses the car for a while, the clutch operation is perfect.
I've read in kit car magazines that this problem can be common (not just GT40 replicas) and their solution was to move the car every month or so.
Any other ideas???

Regards

Dave Tickle

Howard Jones

Supporter
Because you mention weights attached to the pressure plate it leads me to believe you have a ford unit upgraded by centerforce or a centerforce clutch both of which would have several small weights as you said.

I have unstuck fricton disks by getting a couple of friends to rock the car to and fro while you or your wife holds the clutch in (disingauged) with the car in gear. You can do this alone if necessary by depressing the clutch peddle with a 2X4 braced against the seat and rocking the car yourself. Of course I mean the engine is OFF during this proceedure. In your case, with a renault bellhousing, you can get to the friction disk to pry it loose and that sounds like the first thing to try. I would us a flat blade puddy knife instead of a screwdriver and be careful not to gouge the friction material.

Simply starting the car up and kinda making sure everything works,including the clutch, every couple of weeks is a good idea for many reasons. Turn on lights, fans, AC, turn signals, Bring up to temp. etc. Allow engine to consume fuel in carb. before turning off engine. I turn off my pumps and wait for the engine to use up the fuel in the fuel bowls. Prevents the fuel from turning into that varnish looking stuff in the carb. needle and seats, metering block etc.

Lastly fill out your information stuff completely. Here is a case of me not knowing if you are in Asia or some other place named Singapore. The winters might be quite different and so is the rust problem you have on your flywheel, leads me to believe Asia. It is also helpful for others to recomend local sorces for you if we know where you are. This is the most important thing for you other owners of GT40s using this site as a resorce. Real Name, Full Location, Just trying to help.

Try this. Set the emergency brake and put the trans in its highest gear (overdrive if you have it). Then depress the clutch and hit the starter quickly and release. Repeat a few times until it spins free. This has always done the trick for me. Good luck. Orin Meyer

Back