Where's the problem?

Where\'s the problem?

Guys,

Here is a picture of the back end of my engine with the studs for the G50/52 transaxle mounted in the KEP adapter. The clutch disk is on an alignment pinion and the pressure plate is laying flat against the face of the disk. There are no bolts in the pressure plate.

Something appears to me to be very wrong ... like either the KEP flywheel is too far out from the adapter, or I have the wrong Porsche pressure plate. Can you identify the problem?

Topview.jpg

(It's always something ... or in this case, one more thing!)

Thanks,

Re: Where\'s the problem?

Mike,

The pressure plate will compress as you pull the bolts tight.
The "lip" of the pressure plate should pull into the outer edge of the flywheel.
You may need to C-clamp the flywheel and pressure plate together to accomplish this,
depending on spring pressure.
Do the pressure plate bolts reach the flywheel, or at least come close?
The flywheel looks way too far from the adapter plate. If I remember correctly, mine is about 1/2" at most from the adapter plate. Yours looks like it's 1 1/4"! The pressure plate and clutch disc look normal to me.

Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter

Mike, it looks like you have the wrong flywheel for this transaxle. You need a modified Porsche flywheel. The ring gear for a Porsche transaxle bolts onto the flywheel with the pressure plate in between the ring gear and the flywheel.

Attachments

• 41264-GT40PressurePlate1.jpg
    41264-GT40PressurePlate1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 303

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter

View from a different angle.

Attachments

• 41265-GT40PressurePlate2.jpg
    41265-GT40PressurePlate2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 335

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter

Mike, You appear to have the right pressure plate but the wrong flywheel.

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford

Mike I think you will find that you have the wrong flywheel
the pressure plate looks ok butI dont think it is right for that flywheel Ithink you will find that the flywheel you need does not have ring gear the ring bolts to the back of the pressure plate

Here an update on the KEP flywheel.

Talked to them this morning after sending pictures of my installation and Rick Merz installation.

The bad news: Their analysis was that I am trying to use a '87-89 G50 clutch with a G50/52 made in 1992. The flywheel they supplied is for the newer clutch and allows the use of the standard Porsche starter that is 3"+ long.

The good news: They are willing to replace the flywheel and the mounting bolts with the ones I need at no charge other than shipping.

Whew! Some good information here for those that might be trying a similar thing ... Know what pressure plate you have or want to use before you call Kennedy. Will save them and you some difficutly!

Back