302 - 351 exhausts

I have a 302 in my car. If, in the future I decided on a 351 lump would I be able to use my exhausts?
they are non crossover, and I was thinking that if a new exhaust box was made with the entries in the right place, the original pipes would fit?
Just something I'm mulling over.
Thanks
Simon

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Generally speaking, the 351w use the same heads as the 302. As long as your headers don't cross and you have two individual mufflers the headers will fit. My concern would be that the separation of the mufflers, due to the width of the block, may look strange.

Also, will the mufflers in this new position interfere with any of the rear clip. In addition, the muffler tubes may have to be re-routed to maintain the center location out the rear.

Personally, I would make a new set for the 351w and sell the 302 set, or possibly re-work the 302 set.

Simon
I think the 302 has a 8.5" deck height, while the standard 351 Windsor has a 9.5 deck height. Therefore, althought they use the same heads, the horizontal distance between banks of ports is wider on 351, and also the ports will sit higher in the car. I think. No doubt someone will confirm.

Back