Hilborn Fuel Injection

Does anyone have any experience with Hilborn mechanical fuel injection systems for the SBF? I'd really like to add fuel injection to my project, and these are VERY reasonably priced. Are the belt drive fuel pumps necessary? Are they as difficult as a Weber setup to tune properly?

260, 289, 302 applications

Thanks in advance,

-Michael

Michael:

I ran a Hilborn on my CAV GT last year in the Cannonball One Lap...750 miles average driven per night between racetracks for the first seven nights, one track event in the morning and one track event in the afternoon each day. Pack up and hit the road at 5:00PM to drive the 750 miles to the next track, and register by 8:00AM. Continue until you drop.

The Hilborn ran the 6,000 miles, the 17 track events, the drag race, through the 10,000 plus foot passes in the Rockies, the Nevada desert, the Sierahs (?sp), Las Vegas International at 104 degree, and did it all well. We had lots of problems, but they had to do with fuel delivery from the tanks to the fuel rail, not with the Hilborn system. Search under EFI or my name for pictures of the system around this time last year.

Regards,
Buzz

Howard Jones

Supporter
The FI setup you have linked is NOT of the electronic FI type most people have run in their cars on this forum. It is a mechinancal type that uses a "pill" to act as sort of a master "jet" for the system. It also uses a crank driven high pressure fuel pump. The price for the electronic FI is about $5700.

So now you want to know can you use a Mech FI system on the street? There are MANY reasons not to, but depending on your version of a "street car" I guess it could be done. But in the end I think you will wish you had not.

Most of the problems you would be dealing with have to do with trying to drive at low speeds on the street. This system does not compensate for high mainfold vacume conditions. Cold start will also tend to be a issue along with elevation changes, air temp etc. These FI systems are ment to used on race cars being run at full power or at near full power and at narrow RPM ranges for short periods of time.

In short all the things a electronic FI system will do for you this system will not.

Call up Hilborn and ask em. I am sure they will want to sell you the EFI system.

[ QUOTE ]
Michael:
We had lots of problems, but they had to do with fuel delivery from the tanks to the fuel rail, not with the Hilborn system.

Regards,
Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Buzz you never stopped by to see what a well designed fuel delivery system looks like.

Mark

I'll have to agree with Howard on this. Mechanical FI is not for the street unless you're really radical.

I have the Hilborn EFI system controlled by an Electromotive ECU. I did not want the analog system that ships with their EFI unit because I wanted more control. More control and more complexities.

Having said that I find this set up superb. Programmable accelerator pump, adjustments for ambient air temp, cold start and so much more. Hilborn sez thay have sold far more of the racing EFI units for street use than racing. It's quite a hit. Be careful choosing your bore size. The smallest bore (55mm) works well with 427 cubes and would be soft at the low end for anything with less displacement.

Kinsler had the lighter unit but the Hilborns simply look fantastic polished. Forgive me if you've seen this picture.

1stdrive12-640.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Couldn't you just wire the coil packs differently so that they don't have to cross? Or is it a 4 coil wasted spark ignition?

Ron

Yes two leads go under the pan and yes it's a four coil waste spark system. The coil firing devices (initiators?) are a large current draw so Electromotive chose the four coil waste spark. They say any downside to the system like twice fired plugs is minimal. The plug that fires on the exhaust stroke incurs minimal resistance because it's not under compression.

I really need to do VIR this spring.

Back