Please comment on this engine build

I plan to build a 331 engine for my up and coming GT40. To this end, I purchased a SCAT forged steel 3.25 stroker crank and forged steel I-beam rods (5.4L with .927 Chevy pin).

I would like to go with the following components, please comment:

Edelbrock Victor Jr. aluminum heads (2.05/1.60 valves, 60cc chambers, 210cc/75cc ports)

KB forged aluminum pistons (4.030 bore)

Crane Cams hydraulic roller cam P/N 449671 (.563/.595 lift, 232/244 deg dur @ .050 lift)

Weber 48 IDA's for induction.

Static compression is 11.0:1, dynamic is 9.5:1)

Car will be 95% street driven, with an occassional auto-x outing.

Thanks
Bill D

Yes Ron. I am going to go with Fran Hall's GT40. But now I noticed he is about to unveil a MKIV body. I have inquired as to whether it uses the same aluminum tub as his MKI and can it be fitted with a SBF engine. I love the MKIV's and the MKI's...decisions, decisions.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have a similar 347 combo in my car right now. I'd estimate 450hp / 425tq for this combo. Webers really improve the throttle response and upper end HP. You're gonna need to be easy on the trans, especially if you are running an 016 Audi.

Ron Earp

Admin
Bill, it'll be a nice car. I spoke with Fran recently and it'll be the same tub and can have a SB. But don't put that in a MKIV.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Bill,

Should be a spunky 'lil puffer!! The only thing I would suggest double checking is that the I-beam rods are up to task; e.g. check their HP rating. I-beams are the way to go, but I couldn't afford the ones I wanted/needed, so I erred to strength and went with H-beams (above all I wanted bullet-proof.)

Lynn

Hey Neal...
Not to hijack Bill's thread...but where's the road report
on your combo? Isn't it Spring yet in the great Northwest?

MikeD

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
With the rappin' beat box in the background...

"MikeD with da DRB an da Lola MkIII"
"Livin' in a hangar, somewhere in Bangar"
"Askin' wazzup, cuz I been shuzzup"
"Given you the 4-1-1, tunin' the 40 to run, run"
"Gotsta get a plate, dis month is da date"
"Neva e-nuf time, gotta stop dis rhyme"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would love to go with a ZF Trevor, but I hear they cost upqards of $8000!! If someone can correct me and give me more up to date costs, please do.

Regards
Bill

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
I believe rebuilt ZF are less than that. Talk to lloyd Butfoy at RBT transmissions. If you delete the AC, the stereo, the GPS and all that unescessary stuff.............(you can add 'em later if you need)

Charlie M

Supporter
I spoke to RBT a few months ago. They quoted me $8,800 for a new ZF. I can buy a lot of 016's for that kind of money.

Charlie

Bill,

I built a 331 for my cobra. World windsor senior ali heads and a performer plus cam meant it was a beautifully quiet engine but with plenty of oooomph....luverleee.
Simon

Hi, Bill. Here's another 2c worth. Take a little time thinking about how you're going to cool the thing. 450+hp and wrap-around 180 pipes in a tightly wrapped engine compartment with min. airflow generates a lot of heat to dissipate.
Good luck.

Thanks Mike.

I have scalled back my plans to something more streetable. The engine will be a long-rod 331 with a mild hydraulic roller cam, a set of AFR 185 heads, and 10.3:1 forged pistons. Induction will be a set of Webers. HP should be around 425 HP.

Back