Ford V12 Engine?

Just being a bit mischievous here but I have just read an article on the new Aston Martin DB9 Volante V12.. 0-100kmh in less than 5 seconds in a car that weighs in at 50% more than a GT40. Aston Martin being a part of the Ford group of companies I just couldn’t help but think of the possibilities of dropping one of those engines into a GT40. I didn’t know that Ford had even considered a V12 let alone design and build one, so I am assuming that it’s a borrowed design. Anyone know anything more about these engines? Given that only 12 will be sold in Australia, it seems that you would probably have to kill someone to get your hands on one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Specs:
V12
48 Valves
6.0ltr
335kW
570nNm

Ford built a V12 engine for the GT90 show car several years ago. I heard different versions of how it was built, but evidently they used two blocks welded together. It was twin turboed and made approximately 700 horsepower if I remember right. The problem with a V12 in a GT40 would be the length. I would think that the wheelbase would have to be extended to allow it to fit.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn’t know that Ford had even considered a V12 let alone design and build one, so I am assuming that it’s a borrowed design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, the V12 that goes into the AML was originally 2 Duratec V6 engines together, similar to what you will find in a Mondeo ST220 or a S-Type 3.0. It may have changed over the years, but that was the base (allegedly).

Brett

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I remember when reading the article, man, how do they weld all that together! It also had Quad turbos as I recall. A really neat concept car.

Sandy

From what I have read it is done by a process called furnace brazing. I am not sure about the exact process this is but it seems to be done in a large oven where the parts are held together and then heated until they fuse. I bought a model of the GT90 and have been studying it with the thought of someday building a replica. The longer wheelbase would be helpful in installing the drivetrain.

I think they actually call these V12's, W12's.

They are constructed by utilising 2 x narrow angle V6's in parallel, joined at the crankshaft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Length wouldn't be an issue, just width and height. Might yet fit in a GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
For the GT90 the did it inline like a regular V12, I think one of the VW'bs has a W12 or some crazy thing like that.

Sandy

The new Audi A8 has a W12. Now there's an idea, ready to go with a 6 speed auto-magic transaxle and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding folks.. I really am having a love affair with my 302 windsor.

Back