Brass or similar mesh covers for 48 IDF ram tubes

Just wondering if anybody is aware of a supplier for brass/stainless or similar mesh covers to suit 48 IDF weber ram tubes, I have seen some very coarse mesh with rubber rings from inglese but I was looking for something much finer or less bulky.
Any clues would be much appreciated.
Thanks Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The "air horn" screens shown on the Pierce Manifolds site look very much like the ones I bought from Inglese. I ordered the 80mm set to fit over my 79mm DC&O trumpets, but they were a very tight fit. 30 mins of driving saw 3 of the rubber rings split open - not happy !

Either they sent me the smaller size by mistake, or the rubber rings were very poor quality.

Also, the filter film between the mesh layers was a bit suspect - I didn't have things tuned up all that well when I tried these things & it would spit & cough a bit. After the 20 mins of driving (& about 20 coughs/spits), there was nothing left of the filter foam in 4 of the units !

All in all, not very impressed with the Inglese version. It would be interesting to know if the Pierce ones are different (& therefore probably better) !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

The ones that Inglese sells are quite restrictive, and you will have to change the jetting on your carbs. It's kind of like running with the cold-start choke engaged. I can't remember if I had to go 1 or 2 steps leaner on my carbs, but I very quickly just decided to run without them because the car was so much happier without them...

Ron Earp

Admin
Someone here, years ago, posted dyno results of with and without the filters - 40hp on a motor that was making 300ish at the wheels. Quite a strangle as Steve mentions.

R

My motor has the eight barrel injection. I use no filters or screens But I don't drive in dust storms or race on dirt tracks.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Two months ago I decided to take my motor out to replace a leaking rear main seal. It has always leaked from the beginning but it was very small. Over time it became worse.
I also decided to replace the clutch as well. It takes me less than an our to remove my engine and trans. I use a cherry picker to remove it without taking off the rear clip. Once I got the engine on a stand I tore into it. I found some interesting things. First was that I had a coolant leak from a misaligned manifold gasket. It was ever so small but it would have become worse. The biggest surprise was the heads and the cylinder walls. I really expected some serious wear here. The combustion chamber was carboned but not as bad as you think. I wish I had taken some photos but never thought of it at the time. Around the valves there were some small flakes of carbon. Again nothing major. The big surprise for me was the cylinder walls. I could still see the cross hatch marks from the hone. So as not to screw with a good thing I cleaned off all the carbon I could and slapped it back together. So after 58K miles am I lucky? I don't know but I do change oil every 3,000 miles. I use Mobile one. I broke the motor in on Castrol 10W30 for 5000 miles before I started using Mobile One.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back