Flywheel fabrication

Dear All

I have been reading this forum for a few years now, however this is my very first posting. Hopefully someone has an answer for my problem.

I am currently rebuilding a ford 302 engine (year 1980) which will used with an Audi 016 transaxle. I am in the process of designing a flywheel, however I need some guidance as to where the counter balance (50 Oz) needs to be located relative to TDC and how does the weight of the counter-balance on the flywheel relate to the distance from the centre of the crankshaft.

The engine will be balanced in a workshop, however I would like to have the counter-weight in place before the more precise balancing takes place.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards

Alan

If you are rebuilding your 302, have you thought about putting a stroker kit in it? You might want to do that since this will cost only slightly more if you have to get new pistons, rings, etc anyway, have the rods resized, crank ground etc. 331 or 347 stroker kits can be had complete for about $1100-$1400 including pretty much everything.

An added advantage would be that you could get the kit in a zero balance which would save you money for balancing and solve the whole flywheel counterweight issue.

Lukas

Lukas

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately I have already bought new pistons, conrods etc.. and I've just had the crank machined. So it looks like there is no turning back on the engine front.

I have started work on my new flywheel and I will shortly be passing the drawings on to the engine balancer for their comments.

Alan

Back