Is someone with a Lexus 4,0 V8 engine in the GT40

I have thought about it lots of times and will probably wind up with one in something. Lots of guys out this way have done so, since the engine is 'very' cheap to buy out here, and there is also a few tuning parts (cams etc) available for them. Would be a good engine for a mid application Id say.
I'll let you know when Ive stuffed one in a Mini.

I have been looking at alternative V8's for my Lola project, the Lexus looks like a nice lump and I have seen a dead Soarer lately that might provide the bits.
But not seen one installed in mid engine car in the flesh, do you know the weight of the engine?

post some pics if you find one.

Also never seen the Porsche V8 installed in a mid engine car, these are readily available these days as dead 928's crop up.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Joe T said:
the Lexus looks like a nice lump But not seen one installed in mid engine car in the flesh, do you know the weight of the engine?

post some pics if you find one.

Engine weight is 200 to 210 kg, and you can think of it as a 650-700mm cube. More compact and lighter than the Ford 4.6 DOHC lump, but also lacking that additional 0.6 litre. Lots of good info about the 1UZ and its derivatives here: www.lextreme.com

Some on Lextreme are mixing & matching different components in an attempt to get the displacement up to 4.6 to 5.0 litres like we did in the 60's with the SBC's & SBF's. "It's deja vu all over again"

Here are the dimensional pics that were in the original thread, plus a few more....

Attachments

• 1uzfe_front_photo_measurement_sm.jpg
    1uzfe_front_photo_measurement_sm.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 922
  • 1uzfe_side_photo_measurement_sm.jpg
    1uzfe_side_photo_measurement_sm.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 902
  • ITB1.JPG
    ITB1.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 939
  • ITB2.JPG
    ITB2.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 895
  • TRD-1UZ.jpg
    TRD-1UZ.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,138
Well I did order 2 of this engines to day...Have read a lot about this on lextreme forum+ a lot of other investigation.
The next problem is what gearbox I gona use to handle the torque....
I gona build it with 2 GT2871R turbos,more power in the upper range to keep the torque down under 6ooft/lbs and still get 700bhp...

Nice pictures. I believe the engine swap would look great after you get it completed. Have you been able to do so yet and if so maybe you can take pictures of your handywork.

Lexus Engine Locater
Mobile, AL

Back