C6FE Heads - Information Required

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Please advise if you can recommend sources of data or original Ford part numbers to blue print a pair of C6FE heads.
These heads have 1.88"/1.625" valves and were formerly ported by Valley Head Services. Canoga Park, Calif.

Attachments

• C6FE BARE HEADS.jpg
    C6FE BARE HEADS.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,975
Last edited:
Actual part# of those heads would have been C50Z-6049-B to early '67', then C7ZZ-6049-B for latter part of '67'..( 289 Hi-Po heads), but you probably already knew that.

Cheers Jac Mac

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,
The part numbers on the castings read C6FE-6090-A, both on the fronts and in the top wells ?
I have considered using HiPo parts (C3OZ series) but would prefer original GT40 racing programme parts if these were ever made for these heads.

Last edited:
James, You must be quoting the numbers cast on the head. The numbers I gave you are the actual Ford p/n if you had to look for them in a Ford Parts Book.
( I have a Ford Muscle Series Books) which I found those from.

Also found a USA web site with further info on some really odd heads, will dig it out and post later.

Cheers Jac Mac

James,

The site I was refering to is www.racingicons.com where they have some photos of the' 351 Mirage' heads etc.

The 'GT40" valve p/n,s were as follows.

Exh: 1.625 head/45 deg seat angle/0.240" tip to keeper groove.
P/N C9OZ-6505-AA then in '85' SVO Catalog M-6505-B321

In: 1.875" head/30 deg seat angle/0.240" tip to keeper groove
P/N C9OZ-6507-AA then in 85' SVO Catalog M-6507-B321 (1.900")

Jac Mac

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,
Fantastic mate,

I spent all day today trying to find rockers and spring numbers to no avail so this has made my day.

Many, many thanks for your help.

All the best,

JIMMYMAC said:
Jac Mac,
Fantastic mate,

I spent all day today trying to find rockers and spring numbers to no avail so this has made my day.

Many, many thanks for your help.

All the best,
James, all the good 'oil' comes from NZ. Read on.

"LeMans" Camshaft p/n C7FE-6250-A ( I have one new still in carton)
Spring/Damper C3AZ-6513-B ( 390 GT)
Retainers C90Z-6514-D
Keepers ( Hardened) C9ZZ-6518-A
Pushrods " C9OZ-6565-F
Guide Plates C9OZ-6A564-B
Rocker Studs C3OZ-6A527-B
" Nuts C2DZ-6A529-A
Oil Deflector C9OZ-6524-B
Jam Nut 45218-S8
Rocker arm C2OZ-6564-A
Tappet C3OZ-6500-A

Cheers
Jac Mac

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,
Your right, Kiwi oil is great but boiling down all those little birds takes quite a while.

I think I am not bad at the forensics finding outfitting bits from pictures in comics, but all those differing Ford engine part numbers/years have confused me for ages so once more many thanks.

I got a NOS Le Mans cam and the original crank when I bought the XE block and I had the motor built with Canfield heads originally. Now I will be able to get the thing to resemble it's old self.

Ten years ago, excepting the few, we were all in the dark ages without forums such as this, and aquiring this knowledge through reading layman's journals was nigh on impossible - to me anyway. Especially concerning American race engine parts in this 1.6 litre UK.
Now, within minutes we have antipodean friends offering good advice freely.

The Sunday drudge of cutting that lawn is now OFF today and I think I will go out for a few beers on you Jac. If you think I can help you with anything, let me know.

Slainte'

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,
Christmas has come early.
I received your complete set of parts today from JD Larson of All Classic Motors, USA. Well recommended.
Many thanks for your help in this.

Attachments

• GT40 041.jpg
    GT40 041.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,226
Last edited:
JIMMYMAC said:
Jac Mac,
Christmas has come early.

Many thanks for your help in this.

Glad he came early James, at least this way he may have a slim chance of making it down my way , although going by the number of RCR stuff being scattered round the Globe this year I think I might of missed the last sleigh load !!!

Jac Mac

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,
Another pair of these heads fell from Santa's sleigh today.
Many thanks again mate.

Those Reindeer must be on steriods with the heavy loads you get them to haul!
If you want to give them a light load send down some free alloy heads since you wont need them, I'll have a couple of bags of chaff here for them while they rest overnight!

Jac Mac

Please advise if you can recommend sources of data or original Ford part numbers to blue print a pair of C6FE heads.
These heads have 1.88"/1.625" valves and were formerly ported by Valley Head Services. Canoga Park, Calif.

Came across a set of them myself today that were also stamped on rocker cover mating surface with "ported by Valley Head Services. Canoga Park, Calif" and also what the owner claims to be an original 4-bolt development block for 40s. An 'XE' I think he said, but it had machining for coopers rings and on original bores. One of only 4 made and only two now existing, or so he claimed.

Didn't Boss Mustangs use these heads too? and if so surely they are not too rare?

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,222
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,282
Last edited:
I think he might be of the impression that the block is a rare item, the heads were fairly common being fitted to most Hi-Po 289's which were OE on several Ford cars as well as an over counter option for others. De Tomaso Mangustas, most of the Cobra Small Blocks Incl coupes, Sunbeam Tigers etc etc. The engine guys used to grab the castings straight out of the sand molds & weld up the cresent shaped waterway on deck face to help with deck stability/head gasket reliability, in later years we used to 'post' them down thru three of the exh rocker studs ( you had to avoid the one above exh port crossover:)) and in four places on the deck surface just outside the gasket line.
Jimmy Mac, I have some reasonably good pics of the VHS head work being done if you want them scanned & sent.

C6FE heads were never installed on any normal production car by ford. They were used on FIA cobras, Daytona Coupes, R model Shelbys and Gt40 Competition Coupes. These are not 289 HP heads. All C6FE parts were classified 289 HD by ford and only used in select racing applications. Even Mk1 GT40 street cars had standard 289 HP engines. The intake port is better and the exhaust port is huge and high as compared to 289 HP heads. Some C6FE heads were raced with 2.02 intakes valves.

All Boss small block mustangs are canted valve engines not inline valve.

I think he might be of the impression that the block is a rare item, the heads were fairly common being fitted to most Hi-Po 289's which were OE on several Ford cars as well as an over counter option for others. De Tomaso Mangustas, most of the Cobra Small Blocks Incl coupes, Sunbeam Tigers etc etc.

FWIW, the Mangustas got *really* crappy motors. The US-market cars got standard '68-'69 low-compression 302 smog motors, complete with air injection, and made 230 hp on a good day. The Euro cars were supposed to get leftover Hi-Po 289s, and early ones did apparently, but in fact most got whatever was leftover, to include at least one car that got an industrial motor, painted all yellow, and (I think) designed to run a water pump or something. The yellow motor has basic 289/302 architecture, but had some unique differences, i.e. the water pump was different, making parts-chasing for it quite difficult!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Came across a set of them myself today that were also stamped on rocker cover mating surface with "ported by Valley Head Services. Canoga Park, Calif" and also what the owner claims to be an original 4-bolt development block for 40s. An 'XE' I think he said, but it had machining for coopers rings and on original bores. One of only 4 made and only two now existing, or so he claimed.

There are a few XE 289 blocks about, I have one and I know two other guys who have them. The Cooper ring counterbores are not a problem as these days they are usually filled with solid steel rings now that gasket technology is better.
The C6FE heads are fairly rare and I keep searching for them so I have three sets now including the VHS ones.
The castings are very similar to the HiPos but the volumes are greater with bigger valves to suit as Jay mentioned.
Jac I would love to see those scans sometime so many thanks for the consideration.

John Horsman tells how Ford delivered 50 complete sets of 289 HD engine parts to FAV in Aug '66. I imagine a lot of these went back to the US when Harley Cluxton bought the last Mirages and all the spares in '76.

Well I can ask Harley tommorrow as he is flying out from Scotsdale to spend the day in our shop checking out the new projects and restorations. He is building 3 continuation Mirages if your checkbooks are deep enough.

Back