Engine specs for an RCR GT 40

Chuck

Supporter
Engine specs for an RCR GT 40

Need some guidance!

Awaiting the arrival of RCR GT 40 Number 40 is a good time to sort out the engine details. With no experience in building an engine, some tips and guidance would be welcome. I don’t want to make any costly blunders. The GT will be set up for decent street and highway use, not racing, so something in the 350 horsepower range is plenty with a modest cam and good reliability.

A. For the basic engine my current preference is for a crate engine from Ford. I know Ford is replacing their current line of crate engines with the new “Boss” engines in the current quarter, but I suspect they will be mechanically similar to the existing lineup. Current options are:

1. M-6007-XE3M. Rated at 345 HP and 305 ft/lbs. Uses a X303-GT4 head. Compression 9.0 : 1. Cost is around $3500. But would consider as an option the following;

2. M-6007-Z50E. Rated at 360 HP and 330 ft/lbs. Compression is 9.0:1. More significantly, uses a Z304A high flow head and some better components. The thought would be that if we wanted to upgrade to Weber carbs or a more aggressive cam, this might be a better platform. And a couple of grand more money.

B. Plan to use an Edelbrock Dual Plane “Performer RPM” intake manifold. Ford #M-9424-E302. My Cobra with a 427 side oiler has the same style manifold and runs great, so I have some loyalty to Edelbrock.

C. Oil pan, Canton T Style, 7 quart, 15-610. What type of windage tray should one use, louvered or screen type? Give our modest set up the 9 quart pan would seem to be over kill.

D. Short water pump: Ford #M-8501-E351S. Are there any additional components that need to be used in conjunction with this water pump, or is it just a straight swap?

E. MSD Ignition, 6AL. Familiar with MSD since my Cobra uses this unit which is the reason I am leaning toward MSD

F. MSD Distributor, Street Pro Billet (includes vacuum advance) Figure the vacuum advance will give the engine a bit better 'street manners.'

G. Holley 670 CFM, electric choke, Street Avenger carburator.

H. Plan to use an Audi transmission and Kennedy Engineered Products transmission adaptor plate, clutch kit and starter.

I. Electric fuel pumps, likely Holley “Red” or Mallory Comp-110, or similar.

Now some more questions:

1. Alternator. Plan to use a GM style “one wire” unit. Will it fit? What about a support bracket?

2. Pulleys. With the short water pump, are special pulleys required? What is a good source?

3. Are there any other issues which need to be addressed for the basic engine set up?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. If I am missing the boat on anything, let me know.

Chuck

Ron Earp

Admin
Chuck,

I'd give some Ford builders a call and see what they come up with. You can probably get a better quality motor for similar money from those guys. There are a couple of them that sponsor the forum that are well known. Just tell them the budget and see what they come up with.

Everything else on the list seems to be right on or will be handled by the builder. Now the short water pump can be an issue depending on which cover you plan to use......have a look at this thread:

Front Dress Mess

You won't have the problem I did though since you would use an electric pump and a modern style cover. However, I do have the pulleys you need for the modern cover and electric pump, bought them while going through the iterations and haven't gotten around to selling them. They are NLA through Ford Performance but I'm told they will be available sometime in 2007. I'll put them up for sale shortly.

You can't beat a 6AL I don't think and that is a simple way to go about that part. I'm using a pair of those and have used them on many race cars. RCR can help with the KEP Audi adapters and parts I think. I used Kennedy stuff on the forst Audi adaption and they worked great. Fran has bits that do the same now, I think, of their own design.

I'm doing a GM 1 wire type deal and bought a bracket to hold it instead of the stuff I had fabbed up to do the job, I'll let you know how that works out. Parts were from Summit, will try out this weekend.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I used a GM 1 wire with stock Ford brackets, but I had to drill out the long bolt hole in the alternator as the bolt that goes into the head is larger then that GM use. I also had to get spacer for back from the alternator to the head cut to the right length. I just got the spacer from a Mustang restore place

(NPDLink | National Parts Depot NPD part number 65-73 All, 4 13/16” long, cut to fit........8A652-1 16.95)

and cut it down to fit. I don't know if the short pump affects the offset on the alternator Ron might.

One thing that I can recommed is the MSD6 Digital-Plus if you want to pick up a couple of features over the 6AL. I like the fact that the digital version has a built in rev controller and (no pills) and one thing for me that I love is that it has a start retard which is helpful for high compression motors with small batteries :)

One other comment, watch out for the vacuum advanced distributor. Nothing wrong with it other then you might be very tight for space in the front and that might just be more in the way not sure but definitly the small cap version of what ever you get.

Welcome!

Sandy

Summit has a single wire Ford alternator, it is a little smaller than the GM but either one will work. Holley red pump does not require a regulator and would be a good choice for your set up.

We just pulled an Edelbrock Performer off the 331 in our Cobra (going to Mass Flo EFI). Hadn't really gotten to the getting rid of it stage, but if you are interested, it is essentially new (1000 miles).

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks for the responses. The thoughts and comments are helpful as I sort through the possibilities.

Chuck

Back