Alloy Blocks

Mike Pass

Supporter
Can I tap into the knowledge out there re: 302 alloy blocks. I understand that Ford Racing, Dart etc. produce these light weight blocks. How much lighter than the iron item are they? What is the cost?
I was speaking to well known engine builder very recently who said that they had experience of two blocks (origin unknown) which were porous. As Colin Chapman said the best route to better performance is to add lightness! If these blocks are good I would be interested in giving one a try. Any info gratefully received.

* Remember there are three kinds of mathematician - those who can add up and those who can't.

You can check the Dart site for specs including weight. From my memory you are looking at 190 lbs for a cast iron block (351) and about 95 for an alum (351).

Mike,
You can go to either of our sites in my sig and get the whole story on our offerings. Click on "Man O'War" blocks, see aluminum. Prices are on the Hardcore site.
Hope this helps.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Thanks guys. The new man'o'war block looks excellent and in a range of deck heights too. Looks a really rigid casting as well with the valley ribs. What is the difference with a"prepped" block?

Mike,
A prepped block is final honed to either 4.000 or 4.125, is hot tanked, and has installed: screw-in frost plugs, pipe plugs in galleys, cam bearings and ring dowels and of course main caps.
Gregg,
Just catching up and I've replied.
Sorry to both for the delay, been busy.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Mike, there's a good related thread here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...ocks-oil-leaks.html?highlight=aluminum+engine

Hope the above link works. It produced a healthy debate on aluminum v. iron with an eye towards any impact upon oil leaks. There wasn't a consensus however the thread sets out differing view points which may be helpful to understand. One point that was clear however is that the quality of the casting of an aluminum block is very important. Traditional sand casting can leave voids. I believe some blocks are pressure cast now which seems to lessen the porousness issue. Hope this helps.

Mike Pass

Supporter
More interesting info. Thanks again to all. The issue that was explained to me (and is a well known problem with Vauxhall "red top" 16v engines) is porosity of the actual aluminium casting - possibly caused by the casting technique. Has anyone any experience of these kind of problems? Presumably most of the other leaks are caused by poor joint sealing as was well covered in the other thread.

Mike,
Proper design of the gating and venting of the casting tool will prevent all "through the walls" porosity. How the material enters the tool and tall enough risers will insure correct density. A tool with the fewest assembled cores, correctly joined, is also vital. Pressure casting is not necessary with correct foundry tool design.

The casting forecast that arrived today said that we will have these in our door in late May, early June.
1362.jpg

1351.jpg

1343.jpg

Back