Long block - Short block

Chuck

Supporter
Can someone tell me the difference between a short block and a long block 302? Is a small block Ford actually available in a short block and long block version? My impresson is the the new blocks sold by Ford are the later while the older blocks are the former.

Assuming a 302 is indeed avaiable in both a long and short block version, is there any difference in the external dimensions? Will both be interchangeable in a given installation? Mounting points the same?

Ron Earp

Admin
Chuck,

The term long block and short block have nothing to do with dimensions. It actually refers to the state of build the engine is delivered to you in.

Short block - block, crank, pistons, and cam are all you get

Long block - all the above plus heads, valve train, front covers, and maybe intake manifold

Ron

Chuck

Supporter
Ron

Thanks for the quick reply. The fact I am not a mechanic is, perhaps, a bit too obvious. Now I know.

Chuck

Things like pan, valve covers, watre pump, distributor and flywheel are not included with either long or short block assemblies. The older Small Block Fords 289/302 until about 1982 had a 28oz counter balance while after that had 50oz counter balance. Do not mix older flywheels/harmonic balancers with newer cranks and vice versa. About 1986 they went to roller lifters and FI. The dates I mention are approx.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I've seen all sorts of combinations called long and short blocks.

Just about the only thing you can count on is that both should have a rotating assembly (crank, rods & pistons) and a short block is NOT going to have heads and a long block WILL have heads. Anything beyond that is usually negotiable and should be compared CLOSELY between sources. Use what the others have provided as guidelines, just don't count on anything 'till it's written down somewhere.

Keep in mind that all short/long blocks are not created equal either. Is the block new or reconditioned. Is the rotating assembly new or reconditioned or a combination of both. If you don't already have someone who is close personal friend and a mechanics or who can vouch for one (on threat of forfeiture of his 1st born), you'd do well to spend some time finding one. Either that or spend some time searching out recommended engine builders here on the forum. (I have seen quite a few and most, if not alll, are good recommendations.) This is just my recommendation as to a prudent course.

Regards,
Lynn

Back