Bundle of Snakes on a Chevy?

First off, I am not building a GT40 ... so don't go jumping off a bridge :)

Will a GT40 type exhaust generate the cool sound if connected to a big block chevy? Or is there some reason this won't work?

Thanks
Rob

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

The exhaust gases don't know what sort of motor they are emanating from!

The 'cool sound' is caused by evenly spaced exhaust pulses discharged into each collector. The traditional V8 'beat' of a non crossover system is caused by the uneven firing intervals on each bank. The crossover system ensures consecutively firing cylinders discharge alternately into each collector thus you get evenly spaced pulses in both tail pipes.

There was a guy here in the heyday of F5000, racing a Begg with SBC with crossovers. Sounded good, but in a singleseater the extra weight and complication is not always worth the trouble.

FWIW, a flat plane crank with a 'normal' V8 exhaust system, i.e. four into one for each bank, will sound the same as crossovers with a 'normal' crank for the same reason. Evenly spaced firing orders into each pipe.

Cheers

Chev Firing order is the same as 289-early302 so no problem , extra cubes will make it sound a bit deeper though.

Jac Mac

Thanks guys!
Russ, I guess I should have said something about the firing order as the reason I was asking .... not the name on the valve covers!
LOL!

I like the even pulse sound..not so much the BOOM, BOOM sound....

Glad to see you got taken care of on the oil sump, good deal. My office manager just returned from Oz and NZ ..... someday I'll get there.

Rob

First off, I am not building a GT40 ... so don't go jumping off a bridge :)

Will a GT40 type exhaust generate the cool sound if connected to a big block chevy? Or is there some reason this won't work?

Thanks
Rob

Mesa,

I have a small block chevy in my GT40 and it generates the "Cool Sound"

John
:pepper:

Back