AC pump bracket for 302 ?

Hello,
My first post on the forum.
I am, I suspect not alone in trying to fit an AC compressor to the front of my 302 (now 347) block. The supplier of the AC kit gave me a bracket (Heavily over-engineered) to fit high up and to the left (UK nearside) but I need it to be mounted low down and to the left. I noted that one member warned that the old fuel pump mounts on the timing cover, whilst ideally placed, are unsuitable due to the nature of the cover.
Has anyone got plans for or does anyone know of a supplier for a suitable bracket ?
Any advice warmly received.
John

Howard Jones

Supporter
I made my own.

Attachments

• HPIM0241.jpg
    HPIM0241.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 436
  • HPIM0235.jpg
    HPIM0235.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 406
  • HPIM0242.jpg
    HPIM0242.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 407

Chuck

Supporter
The bracket you are seeking sounds like the design used on the RCR cars. Check my build blog for a detailed description (Chuck and Ryan's RCR build). It is a simple design that seems to work very well, fits in a really tight space, and is readily adjustable for different configurations. The pictures may give you some ideas.

Attachments

• CompressorBracket2.JPG
    CompressorBracket2.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 394
  • CompressorBracket3.JPG
    CompressorBracket3.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 417
Many thanks for the responses - given me some better ideas of what's required. Neat ally installation looks solid - I assume the idler / tensioner is installed when the belt tension cannot be adjusted by moving the a/c pump.
The RCR type bracket presumably doesn't require an additional tensioner as the throw of the unit can be adjusted and then locked in place.
Then of course there's the little matter of rerouting the cooling pipes.
Many thanks.
John

Sorry to perhaps hijack this thread, but what AC pumps are you chaps using? Howard, yours seems quite compact whats the donor?

I am trying to find quite a small one (length wise) as i am not running a mechanical water pump so i have a smaller number of bolt holes to use and they are all further back

Anthony

Anthony,
Mine's an item from a US company - "Nostalgic Air Parts" - i can't tell you the exact dimensions because i'm in Libya and the pump is in UK but I think it looks about the same size as Howard's.
John

Back