Redline Weber 48 IDAs

MWGT40

Supporter
Does anyone have any knowledge about or experience with a company called Redline Weber (www.redlineweber.com)? This is what they claim about the modified 48 IDAs that they sell:

REDLINE is now offering along with the factory 48 IDAs, the Redline modified 48s, 19030.018 with improved low speed circuits. We have applied our 30 years of history with IDA modifications developed through our on track experience and race support to improve Weber's best.

REDLINE modifications eliminate the traditional low speed flat spots and drivability problems associated with the original full race configuration of the 48 IDAs as developed for Carol Shelby. REDLINE's modifications improve all aspects of driving -- whether it be for quicker lap times, or more enjoyable daily driving. Street rods, and vintage racers, rotary powered racers and the hottest of VWs, all love the improved off idle crispness, and drivability achieved while maintaining the total performance of the original Weber Carburetor configuration..

Features include: ball bearing throttle shafts, piston type accelerator pump, and a wide range of calibrated parts, and components to accommodate nearly any application. With a broad range of linkage parts, engineered and available to be readily tailored to any racing application, the IDA Series carbs are the clear choice when only the highest flow rate and total racing performance with suffice.

I can't answer directly about your specific question, but I can tell you I have purchased a pair of 45 DCOE's from them. Told them my choke tube, jet, idle circuit, etc needs and there were no issues. I was informed it was in stock, when it would be shipped, what the price was, and it was all exactly as they said. No suprises

Martin, I got their kit for the small block Ford (302). If you use vacuum, you need to plumb the manifold. I sent my setup to Ian of CAV Canada, who did a fantastic job. Turns out, I had to tune without dizzy vacuum advance, but still needed the tap for brake servo.
The stock setup they had was way too rich. Good thing they send a jet tuning kit and synch meter. I had to drop the idle jet 2 sizes, and eventually changed the chokes from 37 to 40mm. Runs quite well now. Nothing like Webers. The look and growl alone are worth it.
LHS2webers.jpg

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Martin,

I can recommend Redline on the Webers, we've done several sets from them.

Ray,thanks for posting the pic of your mill, she's a beauty!

About the Webers as used in Rays application, CAV Canada did quite a few mods to accomodate the CAVs need for vacum and the GT4O specific manifold issues.

Ray requested front pull, the Redline units are set up for rear pull (Cobra) so the linkages were re-arranged to not only go front but sideways too so as to clear the distributor and thermostat housing part of the casting. This gives smoother throttle as there are less bends in the cable and at a greater radius.

To provide vacum for the power brakes and distributor a separate manifold system was created to pull equally from all eight bores. We did this with a .375 thick spacer under the carb heat sheild. This also gave us the opportunity to flip one bank of carbs around to give the original non Gurney Westlake fuel plumbing path. Looks cool too but set off a discussion on what way's best for throttle plates to open:)

note: There are different manifolds supplied for Ford SB Weber setups. They work the same however some have a vacum chamber cast in the center, some have webbing across the bottom inside the valley area so a hidden vacum chamber can be made. Ray's manifold didn't have either, hence the external vacum accululator system, still hidden by the heat sheild.

The engines in GT40s stay happier (ie: don't boil over as much) by plumbing a small line from the back of the heads to the front. This gives air bubbles (from aeration of the coolant) an escape route and flows slightly more coolant past the back of the heads which run hotter because of the headers. This works on all intakes and carbs / EFI.

We've since done two more Weber setups with pure side pull throttles, the cable pulls perpendicular to the intake and heads strait left into the monocoque. Even smoother throttle action...

It's also a good idea to go through the carbs and check the gaskets, float levels, throttle plate alignment, accelerator pump rod and cam action just so everything runs smoothly. Tearing down a Weber setup to fix a sticking accelerator pump rod is a royal PITA, been there, done that!

The Anti Reversion Plate is a nice added touch but won't clear the glass in the Getrag aplication as the engine sits higher than ZF equipped cars. Maybe when Roy catches up...

The Heat Sheild for Ray was challenging as the CAV headers wrap very close to the back of the motor. Looks simple enough when done and lowers the temperature of the back two carb bodies by 50 degrees F. Worth the effort and protects the crossover fuel line from radiant heat too.

Hope this helps anyone buying or working on a Weber setup.

Cheers

Attachments

• RayWeberIntake3.jpg
    RayWeberIntake3.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 784
  • WeberIntake4.jpg
    WeberIntake4.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 616
  • WeberIntake9.jpg
    WeberIntake9.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 773
Back