Ford Engine Number

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

I have a block with the following number and was trying to decode it:

C8AM-6015-B above this number it also has 5-HO.

From what I could figure out (from the web and there seems to be conflicting information) this is a (C8) 1968 block form a (A) Galaxie and came from (M) Performance Operations; SVO Service Parts, does anyone know if this is correct ?

Thanks,

It's a '68 block for sure, but they didn't have SVO parts in '68. There used to be a program called "Muscle Parts" But I don't think they sold service blocks.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Tony,

Read this thread on another forum.......

Opinion on Casting Number - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks and Cars

This guy had the same block ID number and it turned out to be a mexican block.....

Is the deck height taller than what it should be i.e 8.246", not 8.206"????

Do you see the words "Hecho en Mexico" cast anywhere on the block, the lifter valley perhaps?

If there is two large boses protruding from casting, one on each side at the front then its a mexican.

Regards

Andy

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Doc Watson, the link you mentioned lead me to another link that also shows that the "M" is = Performance/Special Vehicle Operations (Incl Holman Moody). I will have to check the deck height and the two large boses on the casting. I probably won't be able to find any other identifying marks as the engine is built. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks,

C8AM-6015-B above this number it also has 5-HO.
C8 = 1968
AM = FORD MEXICO
6015 = BLOCK
B = 1st revision of the block

Not sure what 5-HO is.
It could be a date code, but it would have to read OH-X not 5-HO.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
In 1968 production of 302 blocks in Mexico using the original reworked tooling that produced 289 hipo blocks. They have a higher nickel content with the thicker main webs. Somewhere on the block there is a M to denote
that it was produced in Mexico such as 302M. Ford used these as factory replacement engines for warranty work.If you find one, you have as about as beefy of a 302 block you can find in factory form.They use HIPO style main caps. They are considered to be thick wall castings similar to what was produced in the states prior to 1974. Examples of differences between late model blocks and the thick wall castings are blind holes(early) vs open holes(late) for the main cap bolt. When you see the late models split in half it's at those bolt holes. The other difference is in the webbing near the mains. The early blocks are noticeably thicker than the late models. Lifter valley says Hecho en Mexico.

You can also distiguish it by the bosses that stick out of it like mine below (except mine is a D1ZM)

Attachments

• Dsc00500a.jpg
    Dsc00500a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 908

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
When you see the late models split in half it's at those bolt holes. The other difference is in the webbing near the mains. .

I am under the impression, from the ones I've examined, that they are splitting down the cam jouranl bores and oil passages. From the top down and not from the bottom up.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info guys, after further checks it does confirm it to be a "Mexican" ........

Cheers,

Back