Help needed picking an engine builder.

I’m in desperate need of some help picking out an engine builder. I’m looking for a 302/331/347 with 375-425hp (single 4v) and need to keep the cost in the $5-6K range (the tax man came and took much). I think that’s doable but I need our membership to tell me if I’m crazy and if I'm not who would they go to for an engine. It will be just as important to know the good engine builders as the ones I should be careful of. Anyone willing to state an opinion? Please. Thanks. :huh:

Pick up a copy of this months KitCar Mag. My engine and engine builder are featured in a 7 page article about the build of a GT40 mill. Give him a call. I think sometimes builders don't do a good job of offering advice. They will build what ever you want with what ever parts you like. What happens if you don't know? This gy will tell you what will work best and why. I can personally recommend him and I beat the crap out of my engines. 618 664 4767. Ask for "Lumpy". I know it is hard to ask for "Lumpy" when the guy answers the phone, but if you want him to talk to you that is what you need to do. The call is free. Check him out.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

I went with Keith Craft. They stayed within budget and delivered on time but, more importantly (to me, anyway), is that they're well known for taking care of their customers after the engine is delivered.

The use of a carb, instead of Webers, should guarantee the horsepower you're looking for.

Good luck!

T.

Thanks for the input, it looks like I missed the KitCar Mag, I went by yesterday and a new issue was on the news stand. Sorry I missed it. I've looked at Keith Craft and they seem to have great stuff but for right now it's a bit too spendie. My problem is I REALLY want to drive the car this summer. After the car arrived the dealer couldn't find tires so I was forced to buy 17" wheels and tires which came right out of my engine budget. Ford just released some more Boss 302 based engines that might fit.

The issue you need is the one with the "fastest cobra ever" on the cover. The next issue isn't out yet.

Pick it up, I am pretty proud of the article. I hope you like it. It was the first article I have ever written for a magizine.

Richard, if the budget is modest, Ford Racing puts out some basic SBF configurations which aren't too expensive and don't require custom building. A FR 347 stroker w/o induction can be had for under $5,000 and puts out around 375hp/375tq. I think the quality is pretty good actually (that's what I have in my GT40). Yourself, or a builder, would have to put an appropriate sump and short config water pump on it along with some basic carburetion. Overall, not expensive and that's still lots of power!

Thanks for the update on the mag, I'll pick one up today.

It looks like Ford just released three new versions of the "BOSS" motor which look like they might just fit the bill. They are all 302 c.i. and range from 340-390HP. They are from $6900.00 to $8700.00. Does any one out there know of a Ford or Ford Racing dealer that would be willing to give me a brake on the price?

I've been around a lot, done a lot of engine building. With that said, I've gotten to know an engine builder, Allan Powell, that really knows his stuff, builds engines, mostly Fords, for late model stock cars, Busch, aka Nationwide, cars, NASCAR cup cars, NASA, SCCA and on and on. I include a lot of photos of him doing work in my book The Racing Engine Builder's Handbook. We built the 427 SO, tunnel-port engine in my Cobra. His qualities are honesty, accuracy, attention to detail and his engines make lots of power. His rates are very reasonable, too. He also has a dyno in the shop.

Allan Powell, Powell Motorsports
Hickory, NC 28602
828-256-6606

Back