427 cammer?

Somebody told me that this engine is a "427 cammer" wossat then?

Attachments

• cammer.jpg
    cammer.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 997
FE with Single overhead cam per bank, row of rockers for both intake/exh valves-rockers have rollers on camshaft end. Virtual 'Hemi' chambers, both cams driven by one long chain from a short 'jackshaft' in the original cam position in block which in turn is driven by an original type chain setup.

I don't mean to take the thread off topic here - was just wondering if there has ever been a four cam version of either the SBF or big block (with the cam lobes driving the valves directly w/o rockers)?? And, if so, what kind of rpm would such an engine be cabable of?? Thanks in advance.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
What about the Ford Indy engine? Isn't it a SBF under all that exotic headgear?

Pretty close, it started as one when it was pushrod, but evolved drasticly. It is probably possible to adapt a set of heads to a small block, however there are more head studs and I'm not sure of the pattern.
Ford made some experimental heads back in the 60s for the SB, but never saw production. One had a similar set up as the Pontiac cammer 6,with tensioners and rockers, much like what was used on the 2.0 and 2.3 OHC 4s.

If you want to see the Ford 4-cam indy engines and parts go to my website and check them out at Home. I have about a dozen of them for sale. These cost $27,500 each in 1965 when a mustang convertible was about $3200 new. THey are not for the weak of heart.

Back