Engine ID and Compression Test.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Can anyone help with this?
Some time ago, I looked at the casting numbers on the engine, but did not come up with anything I could identify. Could not find anything above the starter motor. Lower down near the bottom of the block, I found 33 E7TE CA and what looks like an S on its side. Then there is a tag with 9D26 0

Cylinder Head 8F10 WCP 3

Now I don't think that there is anything special here, the fact that the engine had a Prestolite marine distributor may give a clue to that, but would just like to know if these tell me anything.

The other thing I was wondering about was compression ratio, now I guess that there is a relationship between compression test pressure and compression ratio. My compression test gave 9.0 to 9.5 Bar (130.5 to 137.8 psi). Just for a rough estimate without dismantling, some information I searched out suggested quite a low compression ratio. Anyone know what this relationship is, or can provide compression test pressure and compression ratio for their engine ?

thanks

E7 means 1987 or later engine build. Very hard to calculate a comp ratio from compression pressure with so many unknown variables- eg cranking speed-bat cond-lifter leakdown-cold/hot -cam specs. My own experiences with Mercury Marine stern drive units when using 302/351 base was they were around 8.5 to 1 comp ratio. The Prestolites were quite a good dizzy with only mech advance- depending on your location parts could be a problem though.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks jac mac, the Prestolite was a marine dizzy, pretty worn out and the advance curve was right for a boat, I considered refurb and saw that parts were hard to get, then on the way to the track, it started to misfire, and I had to araldite the rotor arm contact back together. It lasted some months like that, then I replaced it with a Mallory Unilite.

regards
Dave

Back