CSR Adjustable Thermostat Housing Is A POS!!!!

I've tried for the past 40 minutes to get the &^^%&&%^$^%& o-ring to stay in the groove. I've tried gasket adhesive and nothing holds it. Any alternatives?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You really shouldn't have to put anything on that O-Ring to make it seal.
In my past experiences - any type of RTV or lubricant will just make it want to slip out of position.

If you really want to use a sealant on it - get some "Right Stuff" made by Permatex - sold at NAPA stores. clean all the parts perfectly and put a very thin smear of Right-Stuff on the manifold sealing surface, allow it to skin up for about 5 minutes and then put the housing in place.

i've always used 4 evenly spaced dabs of RTV in the groove, and never had much of a problem. let the RTV sit ~5 minutes, untill it's really tacky...should do the trick. make sure to double check the o-ring is in the groove before you snug the bolts.

If the o-ring won't stay put with a dab or two of any of the above then you probably have an incorrectly sized o-ring. Many of the larger chain hardware stores (HomeDepot) have a selection of o-ring in different dimensions. Be sure to use an o-ring that sits slightly proud of the face surface. Nothing wrong with using any of the above as well for extra sealing - I prefer to use Permatex Form-A-Gasket rather than RTV for gasket sealing. I've seen excess RTV drool end up in some undesirable places (oil passageways).

Back