RCR 33 on chassis dyno (sort of)

After much aggravation with some dyno operators, I made a few dyno runs with the new Dynatek fuel injection. I must first say that the guys running the dyno were not that sharp but the tuner was top notch. This was the type of dyno that bolted to the hubs with the rear wheels off. Apparently this is a good type of dyno. I couldn't really say. What I can say is that this engine sounds great at 7000 rpms! Unfortunately, the dyno only recorded the numbers to 5978rpms and we were still climbing. At just under 6000 rpms the car was at 500hp and the torque was about 480 AT THE TIRES!:thumbsup: I think there is alot more power between 6000 rpms and 7500 rpms. The graph line was still climbing when we ran off the chart on the dyno computer! The cam has a 108 LSA, 248 dur at .050 and a 670 valve lift with solid rollers. I will need to do another run on a different dyno for the higher end numbers. Did I mention this was on pump gas at only 32 degrees of total advance?

Sorry Ron, I never thought about a video. I do have some pictures on the camera. I will have to take back what I said about the dyno guys. I was just in the garage playing with the software and it has a rev limiter that was set at 6000 rpms. Well, at least I know it works. I bumped it up to 8000 rpms. I should be good to go from here.

From you estimates Ron, based on your engine, how much did you gain as a % from 6000 to 7500? What do you think I can expect to gain at the wheels in the next 1500 rpms?

Dean, I assume that the 6k limit was in the DynaTek software? At least now that you have got rid of the Weber air restriction kit the thing can get some air! I will be surprised if it needs any more than 34° total to make power even with good fuel. Quick note here- the LESS timing it takes to make max power, the better your cyl heads chamber shape and the resultant burn pattern is, or to put it the other way---if you need say 40° total to make max HP then go find another cyl head man or engine builder!

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Supporter
Dean,
My engine picked up 102 hp from 6000 rpm to 7770 rpm.
That was with 32deg total.(where it made the most power)

Back