302 tuning help!!!!

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> 48 IDA's are new to me, and I need some help tuning them. My car is running rich, all the plugs are black. And it lacks power. These are my engine specs:

302ci, 9:1 compression, steel heads: 1.940 intake/1.600 exhaust, solid lifter, duration= 0.050 @ 236, 0.528 lift, 110 lobe separation, 106 intake center line

Webers: 37mm, 150 main jet, 200 air jet, F7 emmulsion tube, 120 idle jet holder, 65 idle jet, Inglese 3 1/8" velocity stacks with nylon booties

I need to get the car running well so I can see what this motor can really do!!! Any help is much appreciated.
<!-- / message --> <!-- controls -->
progress.gif
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=888418

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
JacMac would probably have some good information for you in regard to tuning the Webers themselves.

From my perspective, you have a LOT of camshaft for a relatively small engine with a pretty low compression ratio. I don't think that you'll be anything but marginally successful in a Weber tune that works well with your cam/compression combination.
I would find a cam that has 112 LC or greater in order to reduce intake reversion that kills Webers on the lower end of the RPM scale.

Will get back to you on this- is it a Comp Cams 282S grind, is it in a 40 with crossover exh, and what initial & total ign timing are you running.

As Randy has pointed out you will have added a degree of difficulty with the 110LC.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Just out of curiosity (based on the response), suppose this very same cam was being used in a 383 CID displacement motor. Would this be more acceptable to the Weber induction system.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just out of curiosity (based on the response), suppose this very same cam was being used in a 383 CID displacement motor. Would this be more acceptable to the Weber induction system.

The larger the displacement the more air it's moving and hence a better vacuum signal (which carbs need to function - remember they are pressure differential devices)...

So - In a word - YES.

It is a little more complicated than that though.. It all boils down to the design (components & parameters) of the engine and purposes it is intended for..

Will get back to you on this- is it a Comp Cams 282S grind, is it in a 40 with crossover exh, and what initial & total ign timing are you running.

As Randy has pointed out you will have added a degree of difficulty with the 110LC.

Yes, it is a Comp Cams 282S grind. It's in a Mustang with a H-pipe. And the timing is at 14, but I don't know what the total timing is at. What do you recommend?

Back