GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Engines/Induction/Exhaust

GT40 Tech - Engines/Induction/Exhaust Motors and engine related - right here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2008, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
John Lowe
3 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: RCR MK1
Question Engine mounts

'Ello all

Interested to know the for and against arguments for solid mounts v bushed mounts for my RCR/LS7. Fran has (kindly) supplied me with some excellent solid mounts for my LS7 which he made up in his shop. These could be re-engineered to accept bushes but I don't which is the best route to take. Power approx 550 bhp and a mixture of road and track use (mostly road I guess) through a SPEC 10.5" clutch which includes a marcel plate (so whilst still well able to handle the power and torque will take up the drive smoothly)

Thanks

John
Old 29th October 2008, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
wbmusarra
I Have No Life
United States

GT40: DRB#5
Re: Engine mounts

John,
I guess it depends on how much excitement or weight loss you want from that giant vibrator!!! Seriously, there will be a little more engine movement rather than passenger, with the bushes.

Bill
DRB#5
351W/400cu.in. TWM F. I. 930 Porsche LSD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29th October 2008, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: RCR40 - #45

I have the Energy Suspension Poly mounts from RCR in the front. The Mid-mount via the adapter plate is through a couple of very dense nylon/delrin bushings. I have also crafted a rear mount/support for the G50 transaxle at the rear. This mount is solid.

I can't tell you what the overall net effect is because I've yet to start it or drive it. I would be somewhat concerned about using solid mounts into the sides of the tub for fear that it would magnify the vibrations - much like a speaker cone.

See my build site (below) for more details on how I did mine if interested.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29th October 2008, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
John Lowe
3 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: RCR MK1

Bill, Randy

Many thanks for replies. I had'nt thought about the "drum" effect on the mono but makes good sense. I guess that any attendant sympathetic vibration might also have a detrimental effect on other fixings.

Still learnin' at 64

Best

John

Last edited by John Lowe; 29th October 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo