GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Engines/Induction/Exhaust

GT40 Tech - Engines/Induction/Exhaust Motors and engine related - right here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2009, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bill D
I Have No Life
United States

Starter Problems Still

Got the correct starter today but it doesn't fit into the hole in the block plate. The diameter of the lip in the face of the starter is larger than the diameter of the hole in the block plate. So, do I have to get a grinder up in there and open up the stupid hole? Or can I grind the lip off the starter so it lays flush on the block plate.

Just another hurdle in trying to get this car on the road. Seems like they're never ending
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 26th February 2009, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dimi
Lifetime Premier Supporter
Australia

GT40: DRB 68 & 109
Re: Starter Problems Still

Hi Bill

If it is indeed the correct starter then I personally would not alter the starter.
It also uses the lip to correctly align the starter with the ring gear.

It would be far better to alter the mounting plate so that should you have any future problems with the starter you can just bolt in a new one without having to modify anything.

It is far better to do the mod only once and then be able to use standard parts for the future than having to constantly modify new bits ongoing.

Dimi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 26th February 2009, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bill D
I Have No Life
United States

I figured as much. And me with a bad back
Old 27th February 2009, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
IanAnderson
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: Dax 40 Mk1 (Rov

Bill

Bad back and GT40 owner go hand in hand!

Good lick with your starter - mine just started to click instead of turn over - you are not alone! I think though, the main cut off switch is failing as everything dies after the click!

Ian
Old 27th February 2009, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: RCR40 - #45

Ian - Your issue may be as simple as a bad connection at the battery.

Bill - as we discussed on the phone - You just need to use a die grinder to open up the hole in the block plate a little at a time until the boss of the starter mates and the bolt holes line up. You don't want the starter bolts alone to locate the starter - that's the job of the boss fitting into the block plate - the bolt's jobs are to hold the starter to the engine/trans assembly and to keep the starter from rotating when engaged.

We'll talk more tonight I hope..
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sandy
Gulf GT40
United States

GT40: RCR GT40 Gulf

Bill -

Don't know how bad the interference is, but I had similar problems with some of the scatter shields block plates in the past cars. Ends up mostly being a burr left from the stampings. If that's it get a drill or die grinder (a bigger hammer) and a sanding roll and see if that is all you need to clean it up. If it off significantly something might not be right. I have also had to clean up some casting flash on the flange of the starter and then slides right in.

Sandy
RCR GT40 #11 348" Alloy SBF, 930 Box, Gulf 1075 Trim Now in the Garage, still under construction...

Links to the cars
Old 27th February 2009, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bill D
I Have No Life
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Bill -

Don't know how bad the interference is, but I had similar problems with some of the scatter shields block plates in the past cars. Ends up mostly being a burr left from the stampings. If that's it get a drill or die grinder (a bigger hammer) and a sanding roll and see if that is all you need to clean it up. If it off significantly something might not be right. I have also had to clean up some casting flash on the flange of the starter and then slides right in.

Sandy
That's my plan of attack