Low Cost 302 - 400 HP

Darnel A.

Supporter
Scored big in my quest to build the under $20K GT40 car. Picked this Dual Quad Low Rise 302 intake up for $100. My performance goal is 400 HP. I will obtain the Wow factor with Dual Quads without spending the big bucks for the Webers.

Darnel

3n73p03l8ZZZZZZZZZ962db779ca4d7bd1422.jpg

Last edited:

Darnel A.

Supporter
Re: Low Cost 289 - 500HP

JACKPOT!!!!!
Just picked up an ex-drag racer's shortblock. 1967 289 block, H-Beam Eagle Rods, Scat steel crank, KB pistons, .672 lift roller lift Competition Cams, roller followers, ARP studs, double roller chain and gear, went 10.20 quarter mile in a 2800# car. All professionally assembled for $200! I love when things go my way!
The down side is now I am gonna need a 930 trans instead of a 016!

Darnel

Last edited:
Glen:
Sorry breaking in on the thread
Any New Photos of your build?
yesterday i got dc&o throttle bodies, ecu, injectors ,fuel rails and manifold, and tomorrow i plan to do some more welding, it's coming together. looking like it might be a 5k build:thumbsup:

Theres a 1986 930 on e bay right now, the reserve is 2K and it has the "solid" bellhousing that can be shortened. Ends tomorrow

Steve

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got and always have had pretty healthy 289 and 302 motors (more so 289). My experience with the 289 was a really broad RPM range with good HP, but when you do the math, high HP and high RPMs usually involve lower than desired torque (2.87" stroke). I loved the 8K stock crank/rod capability, but didn't really have an appreciation for torque until I built the 383 based on the 351W block.
400 HP shouldn't be a stretch, but torque is what pushes you in the seat, and breaks transaxles. You may be fine with the 016, but I can't speak to this with experience.

Last edited:

Darnel A.

Supporter
Glen,
That is one of the bonuses on living in Michigan. Lot's of gearheads who are unemployed because of the imploding Auto Industry who are selling their toys! Everything is cheap here (boats, homes, cars, you name it!)
I will forward pics soon.

Terry,
You may be right about the 016 working with the 289. I think that trans is geared high, so since the torque generated from the 289 motor would be due to higher RPM, it may work out. Thought about the 930, but ruled it out, I need 5 speeds for the 289 to keep it within it's powerband.
By the way, what kind of cam were you running? I am looking into the F303 (.512 lift, 288 duration) with 1.7:1 rocker ratio, but it may be to mild for higher RPM, and the drag racing cam that came with the engine is too radical. Any thoughts?

Darnel

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've really gotten into the high lift, medium duration rollers. The one currently residing in my (probably never be used ever again) 289 is an Iskedarian grind that is about .580 lift, 245 duration (.050) with a 112º center. One of my most favorite cams, but hardly attainable was the old "LeMans" Ford cam (C7FE number). It seemed to have as broad and flat torque curve I've ever seen, but this Isky cam came pretty close. It could have done better with some AFR heads, but the J302 heads (old Alan-Root design with the splayed exhaust bolt pattern similar to the 351C bolt pattern) I ran seemed to work pretty well.

I've got and old 2 X 4 set-up that I kept trying to use, but I always ended up going back to a single 4 barrel to get the power I wanted. The dual's really looked nice, but never performed as well as the Victor Jr and 780 Holley (it was a light weight 240Z, so I guess I didn't need or really want a lot of low-end grunt because traction was always an issue). Unfortunately I never got around to using the Webers.

Darnel A.

Supporter
Ok, finally pictures. Once I pick up some Alum. Heads and the rest of components, I will have the components torn down, crack tested, and re assembled. Next is the trans, I have a line on a Porsche 930 transaxle I plan to pick up in Dec. I figured I had better buy it now, since they seem to be getting rarer, especially at a reasonable price.

Darnel

Attachments

• 09_8A.jpg
    09_8A.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 10_9A.jpg
    10_9A.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 453

Howard Jones

Supporter
SpeedQ, I would't put a FMS cam into an engine I was building unless I could get it for damn near free. There is a reason people sell them used. Comp cams makes some good hyd roller cams and you should give their tech line a call and ask them about a cam for your motor.

You do have a hyd roller motor right? You can't use a F cam in anything else other than a hyd roller motor. If you do have a HR motor and can get a F cam for 30-40 bucks then go for it, but don't expect to make a lot of power above 5500 rpms.

Back