Engine Mounts

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I managed to tear the rubber on my engine mount at Santa Pod on Sunday (Left hand side one)

The units appear to be from a SD1 Rover car, but are also used on Morgan +8 etc.

Now I was thinking.
What is the best way to mount the engine?
On my Formula V a number of years back it was solid mounted
The Rover in my GT40 uses rubber mounts (which are obviously not up for the job or perhaps just old rubber and deteriorated with age - any chance the replacement ones would be any better / newer manufacture?)

So do I try to solid mount the V8? Or is this asking for trouble with vibration etc? Or will it no damage to the chassis box section with no "give"?

Or do I need to get something manufactured that will cope with the torque more easily - perhaps urethane,

Or stick with the rubber and add some torque stays to the heads area?

Sorry lots of questions in here but what is considered a favourable way to mount the engine?

Cheers
Ian

The engine mounts on a mid-engined car carry much higher loads than a front-engine layout. They must resist the torque not just of the engine, but also the reaction torque of the drive axles (which might multiply the engine torque by12:1). The good part is that the weight of the engine helps in the opposite direction, but under high loads, not enough. When your nose rises under acceleration, those are forces largely transmitted through the engine and transmission mounts.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Ian, Urethane "solid" mounts seem to be fine on my DRB - no vibration issues at all. This is the standard setup for DRB's with SB.

The attached pic shows the end of one mount, along with the bracing strut between the engine mount & the g'box adaptor plate.

Sorry I don't have any decent pics of the full mount - let me know if you need better ones.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0286.jpg
    DCP_0286.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 435
Ian,

The mounts you have linked to are the standard RV8 mounts. They also fit the TVR Speed Six models. (The Griffith and Chimaera were RV8)

What I linked to was a shroud that goes over the rubber mount to protect it from the heat and also firm it up a bit.

If you can get the plastic mounts, then that is the way to go, they will last longer and be more stable than the rubber.

Back