AMG power?

I have been thinking what power plant to put into a GT40 replica and i know a Ford 302 V8 is more to the original spec but the new 6.2 AMG V8 seems so much more.....appealing. i have emailed AMG for pricing and dimension details but what transaxle would be appropriate (links ideally).

all thought and suggestions welcome

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Love the idea of AMG power. Likely you'll need to fab an adapter for the transaxle regardless of what you choose. Not many mid-engine Mercs out there...

yh thats just detail though, im sure i could bolt a G50 onto it with an appropriate adapter plate speaking of ive been scouring the internet looking 4 transaxles suitable for that kind of torque and cant find shit :(

I don't have his pricing, but he makes OEM boxes for people like Koenigsegg, Pagani etc.

He is probably one of the more expensive boxs on the market. Best if you talk to him, but he may be on holiday this week (big holiday week in Italy).

PBR, that certainly would be a nice power plant back there. You'd want to know what the dimensions are, particularly the width at the heads. A sbf is a pretty compact power unit and most V8s are larger, some much larger, particularly when equipped with single or double overhead cams, and not all will fit.

I believe there was a German CAV dealer who installed a merc engine in his CAV. If I'm remembering correctly, he unfortunately passed away in an accident in his CAV while travelling at a pretty rapid rate of speed. I don't know if that engine was an AMG or ??

Frankly, the SOHC V8 merc engine from an S500 is a pretty impressive piece of work. Lots of hp and torque and you can buy them used with low miles for about $2,000! I suspect you'll find that the 6.2 AMG engine will be in the range of $15,000-$20,000 if not more. Ouch.

erm yea, got a reply from AMG and they want.....wait for it...£37,230.10!!!!! so yh thats that plan out of the window lol. he then went on to say and I quote "i thought you might say that‬ alternatively we can offer an SLR engine for £136,716.60 inc vat "
dont you just love the Bavarian sense of humour lol but maybe an older generation AMG motor then put a centrifugal supercharger on it :D. i just want something differant to the 'regular Ford 289/302

PBR,
Stay away from the centrifugal superchargers and go for the new Eaton 4 lob Rootes style unit. You can probably pick up an older AMG here in the UK for next to nothing, or why not use a BMW V8 motor (cheap as well)? Probably a Ferrari 360 (MESA has one for sale or did) would be sacrreligious but interesting.

PBR,
Stay away from the centrifugal superchargers and go for the new Eaton 4 lob Rootes style unit. You can probably pick up an older AMG here in the UK for next to nothing, or why not use a BMW V8 motor (cheap as well)? Probably a Ferrari 360 (MESA has one for sale or did) would be sacrreligious but interesting.

sorry guy but ive been researching s/c and its all about the centrifugal type...that 'like a turbo but gradual build up of boost in relation to revs' + all the power is in the top end for usability.

the E39 M5 block...yh that has caught my eye too...might get a bit of economy too lol

the irony of a ferrari V8 in a GT40 is brill i give ya that but na, it just wouldnt be right...may as well put a LS1 block in it hahahaha

Last edited:
PBR,

Totally disagree with you on the supercharger. What you have researched is the info in the market place from the U.S. centrifigual guys.

The Eaton 4 lobe may not yet be available through Magnasun, but is as efficient as a turbo, and produces linear performance. All of the OEM guys use / will use the Eaton unit. No one uses a centrifugal type. The new LS9 and Audi's new V6 diesel use the Eaton unit.

ive researched everywhere mate, roots cannot be as efficent as a turbo because of the nature of how it works takes power off the engine, centrifugal is merely an impeller inside a casing + its only the size of an alternator and can be mounted anywhere in engine bay.
look at the Koenigsegg CCX 4.7 V8 twin rotrex s/c....over 1000bhp on bio fuel.
dont mention chevys plz i am anti GM lol

PBR,

I saw the Audi test results where the new Eaton 4 lob unit was compared to different alternatives, including turbochargers, and Audi chose the Eaton unit.

More I can't say.

Back