Exhaust gasket

HI

my heads are Edelbrock / Victor Jr . The size of the exhaust ports are:
1,41" inch high and 1,45" wide.

I´m looking for a fitting exhaust gasket

found this one
Fel-Pro Performance Z1486 - Fel-Pro Performance Exhaust Header Gasket Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FOG-7011C/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FOG-7011/

they are 1,40 " square. What i wonder is the second bolt pattern. For what is this. Would they fit my Edelbrock heads

which one would you prefer ?

Are there any other alternatives you know ?

Thanks

TOM

Thanks Racer X ( Btw do you have a name ?)

I have no experience with using RTV on exhausts.
Does it last longer ( race teams usually have to dismount the headers more often) as one race weekend?

Thanks TOM

Does it last longer ( race teams usually have to dismount the headers more often) as one race weekend?

Thanks TOM

I have a VW Scirocco where one of the exhaust studs broke off inside the block. The VW engine uses individual gaskets, like a motorcycle. I would have to remove the head to get access to the stud to fix it. Instead, I got some Permatex copper gasket maker, which is similar to RTV but it is made with crushed copper. I put a big bead on the flange of the exhaust header, then installed it with gaskets on the other three cylinders, and made the nuts only a little bit tight.

I let it dry for one day, then I went back and tightened all the nuts, to the final torque specs. The exhaust was perfectly sealed, and it has remained that way for more than 15 years now! :thumbsup:

Thanks TOM

RG is what everyone calls me, it's really a southern thing, down here alot of people go by their initials.

Lots of answers, thanks for brining me up to speed, Mike, Tom, Bill...

Tom, my Canfield heads have two bolt patterns, one inside of the other. This must be what you are refering to on the two patterns on the gakets. I hope this helps you. I don't have the measures of the distances, because I am at my desk at work. Shame on me! LOL

Howard

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've used both Permatex High Temp RTVs - RED and Ultra-COPPER on both racecars and street cars and have yet to have a problem..

I put a bead a few millimeters thick on the flange - let sit for 30-45 minutes to skin up a little, then install - only lightly tightening the bolts. After 8 hours I go back and torque all the bolts down.

I use Star-Washers under my header bolts and have yet to have one come loose and fall out on me.

DisplayImage.asp

DisplayImage.asp

I would probably recommend the Ultra-Copper over the Red, but either will work for you..

The same method using the Ultra-Copper has been working for me since the product was introduced! Never a leak either..

This is great news. We recently had to inspect the underside of one of my heads(full writeup in my build thread DRB#5). When the exhaust were pulled I had more than one exhaust cylinder with a leak. One was worse than any other. So I will plan on going the ultra copper route when we reassemble.

Bill

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
HI

they are 1,40 " square. What i wonder is the second bolt pattern. For what is this. Would they fit my Edelbrock heads

Thanks

TOM

Tom, this gasket looks identical to the ones I use on my J302 heads. Alan Root provided these heads to Ford back in the late '80s (??). They were in essence the first nice aluminum head with decent flow numbers (at the time) offered by Ford, and allowed header tubes that didn't need to be pinched at the bolt-holes. I love mine (just can't use them now because I'm running the LS from now on). My understanding is these gaskets will fit all stock exhaust patterns.

Ebay just happens to have a NOS for sale if you want to see a picture: Item number 370323038102

Last edited:
I will have to try that on my Cobra. The right side pipe is always blowing out the gasket. Every time I go over a bad crown or speed bump that hits the pipe I need to put on another gasket. I have been going throug about 2 to 3 a year. (I used to put about 7K miles a year on it before I finished my GT40.)

Not to rain on the RTV parade or anything....

High temp RTV works great where neither side of the gasket comes in contact with the oiling system. In other words, the inevitable drool won't end up in oil galleries/passages. Although, some folks do use it in that manner and swear by it. So, RTV on an exhaust manifold (even without gasket if the fit is precise enough) should be A OK. For gaskets calling for a sealant I use permatex aviation Form-a-gasket. Works great. I typically just put it on one side of the mating face - the face which attaches to the part (not the block/heads) so that the part comes off cleanly.

One reason this stuff is called "aviation" is because it's specifically designed to not drool and get into oil passages....causing potentially a "fatal" accident when used at 10,000+ feet.....

Attachments

• Form-a-gasket.jpg
    Form-a-gasket.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Back