Help Needed to Identify Ford Engine

Hi,

I have been offered a choice of two Ford V8's (my car currently has a Rover) as I was looking for a long term project to build.

I really don't know much about these, but here is what I have. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome as always! I'm not looking for mega power, just a solid 250-300bhp would be ideal.

Engine Code on each is: RF F1AE 6090 HC

One engine has all the ancilliaries and is complete, the other is in bits, but apparently all there (?).

I guess which ever way I go I will buy a set of ally heads (from advice you guys gave me before), so I guess I just need to know if these are the 'right' blocks to start with.

Also, any idea how much they would be worth ? Engines are in the UK. Any idea what age these are?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

The 'F1' makes them 1991 castings/parts or later [F means any part of 1990's, #1 indicates 91-*2 = 92 etc] , by checking other individual casting/part numbers you will get closer to the actual year of production, ie the exh manifold might hav a p/n with 'F2**' on it indicating 1992, latest number you can find is best indication bearing in mind some parts could have been later replacements from service etc.
Sorry cannot relate to UK prices..

Thanks Jac,

Far too modern for what I am looking for then. Emissions laws etc over here seem to favour the older blocks. I guess the search continues......

Thanks Jac,

Far too modern for what I am looking for then. Emissions laws etc over here seem to favour the older blocks. I guess the search continues......

Mark,
if it's pre July 1993 then it's OK for UK emissions, the pre '75 smoke test only dispensation went when the new IVA regs came in. So long it's pre '93 then you will be OK, after that it's a CAT test. On the later engines the date code is usually on the gearbox mounting boss adjacent to the starter, this will be a three or four digit code, numbers and a letter, if you can get this and call me on 01270 811427 I can sort it for you. We are the American engine accreditors for VOSA.
Mike

Mike,
I thought it was still in there. Referencing section 2B, I certainly read it that way, especially following the flow chart on page 4 of 13. Do you have clarification otherwise? Thanks

Brett

Mike,
I thought it was still in there. Referencing section 2B, I certainly read it that way, especially following the flow chart on page 4 of 13. Do you have clarification otherwise? Thanks

Brett
Brett,
we were told by VOSA last year that the pre '75 smoke test only was being dropped for amatuer build cars. At the time the new IVA regs were being drawn up Brussels wanted the regs the same as the rest of the EU, ie rolling road emission tests and drive by noise test. VOSA resisted this and as a sopp to Brussels droped the visible smoke test.
I think the flow chart refers to pre '75 cars, not cars with pre'75 engines. I did call Vosa today for a clarification but the chap to talk to was away, I will try again tomorrow and let you know
Mike

Finally got to talk to the main man at VOSA, off poorly, and yes, the pre '75 smoke test is still OK. It WAS due to be cancelled for IVA as per the conversation I had with VOSA last year but at the last minute was reinstated at the behest of the American car import lobby, rather strange as VOSA don't need to see any US imports that are more than ten years old ! Apparently Brussels were a bit peed off by this so in the long term probably hasn't done the UK any favours.
Mike

Back