Fresh off the presses--Small-Block Engine Book

I finally saw the fruit of my labour, the small-block Ford Racing Engine book I've been writing for the last two or more years. UPS just dropped off a box of them on my doorstep. I got slowed down right in the middle of writing it with a "small" case of prostrated cancer and the resulting surgery, but I got'r done.

Shown if me with my favorite project. The car is an ERA Mk1 powered by a stroked 302 (331) with gives about the same power although a bit more torque as the original race-prepped 302s used in the #6 and #9 1076 car.

The main cover car, the Probe drag car is power by a 302 stroked to 347 cu. in. from an SVO block fitted with SC-1 heads and two big Holley carburetors. Peak power from this beast was 920 hp, good for recorded setting 1/4-mile runs, but I doubt it could make a full lap . . . on a short track.

Time to think about writing a second book, or something to help pay for and justify my toys!

Attachments

• SAAC31015Crop.jpg
    SAAC31015Crop.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 5091-049_Crop.jpg
    5091-049_Crop.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Congratulations in order!

Perhaps I too will join you someday, in the ranks of published authors. And hopefully my work will be as helpful as yours to fellow enthusiasts.

Good luck and good job! :D

Wyoming: Good luck. I didn't know how hard it was to do, sort of like giving birth . . . a lot of pain and commitment. When finished writing my first book, I realized that it was more difficult that designing my last car!

IAN K: You're right, that's the book and it's published by HPBooks. I'm now at the other end of the process, being that I was the auto editor for HP when it was located in Tucson, AZ, my adopted home.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Very cool, and I am going to order a copy.

A few years back, I recorded a CD with my band. Oh, what a painful process. Is writing a book anything like that? I hope not, for your sake.

Anyway, congratulations! you ought to be selling autographed copies...

Congrats! Being a fellow editor (similar area, too, by the way) who eventually got his own work published, I know the feeling. Finally, MY name on a book that represented all of the work I put into instead of somebody else's name...with no less work put into it on my part.

By the way, I think I had about 2000 hours in my first book prior to publication (Jim R. asked if it was painful; not necessarily, but it is a committment).

Eric

Eric: Committment is right, just as building a car, marriage, sky diving and similar endevours. I guess it's sort of like having a baby, which we'll never experience. Similarly, though, writing does involve some long nights, isolation, time and pain. But soon you forget those things and want to do it again. At least you know more about what you're getting into.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Tom-
Do you have a preferred or recommended outlet for buying your book? I have four of your books, including my most recent purchase of The Racing Builder's Handbook. I will add this new book to the group.
Thanks,
Steve

Tom-
The title states "All small block Fords...302/5L..." I know the differences are slight, but where they exist. is the 289 covered as well?
FWIW, I rebuilt my first engine with nothing more to go by but your book "How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines" and it started and ran on the first go. And given I was absolutely ignorant of automobile engines, apart from having built a Visible V8 model when I was 10, you know you covered it all and covered it well! I sold the motor but still have the book.

John: I sure am glad your 289 started the first time you cranked it . . . as it should've.

As for the SBF Racing book covering 289s, being that it's about modern racing small-block Fords, I concentrate on the new race oriented pieces. As you say, the principles are the same for all SBFs, though. An example are the new low-deck 302 blocks. They are pretty much the same externally except for those cast or machined only for dry-sump oiling. The same thing goes for heads except for those similar to the Boss 302 and Cleveland heads with their parallel intake/exhaust faces. Consequently, you can spec your SBF so it will displace 289, 331, 347 or somewhere in between so a wide variety of pieces will fit including those for a 289. That and you can make it as sophisticated, read expensive, as you want.

Just ordered my copy, looking forward to its arrival.

I have just completed my engine build and it sitting on its stand in the garage. I hope I'm not going to have to tare it down again on reading this book!

Back