CAV and BBF engine

Just curious but is anyone running a 427 type setup in their CAV like the SPF guys are? I know that CAV states that the chassis is designed for a 302/347 type setup. If anyone has any info on this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

I have read that it can be done....Cars On Line has a Cav for sale with a BBF FE 511 built by Keith Craft

this new BDR GT40 CAV has such engine I believe...

13419210.7.big.gen.jpg

Roush 427R Racing engine(7liter/550pk), tremmec T56 6-Speed versnellingsbak (gearbox)

13419210.big.gen.jpg

and it is in the Netherlands :thumbsup:
sadly not mine :embarassed:

Last edited:
That looks more like a 351w bored/stroked to 427 to me Rene...... but you refer to the transaxle as a Tremec 6 speed?---- is that correct???

That looks more like a 351w bored/stroked to 427 to me Rene...... but you refer to the transaxle as a Tremec 6 speed?---- is that correct???

Yes that is what the seller says, they say this in their add

Blauw met witte strepen,interieur zwart,17 inch knock-off wheels,limited slip differentieel,raydot spiegels (L),knock-off lips gepolijst,Roush 427R Racing engine(7liter/550pk),tremmec T56 6-Speed versnellingsbak
EX. BPM (special car tax)

so a roush 427R racing engine 7L/550hp and a tremmec T56 6-speed gearbox...

But I don't know enough about these engine's or gearboxes...(almost nothing) but thats what the add says.
I want to see that car soon (within a month if its still there by then), it is about 150km from where I live...
always wanted to find out if such CAV or BDR is something for me, I love the looks and materials used, but do not know how they fit me.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A "T56" is a six speed Tremec gearbox, but NOT a transaxle. Looks like a ZF/RBT to me so it could be a six speed as RBT does a six speed version. BTW, I met Blanche from RBT this weekend, very nice person and well aware of what we need for gearboxes.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I can't tell enough from the pic but believe that is indeed a Roush FE 427. Roush does offer an FE 427 engine as well as the 351 based version. They offer it in carbed or injected versions. I would side with the FE suggestion. I have had some in depth discussions with the Roush folks about their FE engines, they offer cast iron and aluminum versions. I can say that the aluminum version is based on the Shelby block, but there seemed to be some disagreement about who's iron block was used. The maker of the iron block seemed to take that very personally and resulted in some prolonged heated discussions following my conversations with both.
Now... Cal has a Windsor based 427 not an FE.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Roush 427s are not big blocks, they are stroker Winsdor small blocks. Great motors, but not 427 farm engines.

Ron,

I spent the Carlisle weekend sharing space with Roush and they indeed had a 427 alloy "Farm Engine" on a stand there. It was a Shelby alloy block and they do offer an iron block version. They do not actually do a 427 CID FE engine, only stroked versions claiming that they cannot get a good crank in standard throw. They do also make a 427 Windsor series, but you can get the boat anchor series if you are so inclined!

I don't understand most, but it looks like the 427R is indeed built on a small block? Windsor engine(also don't know how they are precise)...at least this story tels something strange :drunk:
you guys better look and tell me what it is that 427R

http://www.roushperformance.com/pdfs/427R_Engine_Description_Sheet.pdf

here prices and where they put them in (mostly)...they are expensive...you better can put an LS7 in it ;-)

Roush Engine Pricing

some other Roush engine's and story here

Engines Roush

I can't tell enough from the pic but believe that is indeed a Roush FE 427. Roush does offer an FE 427 engine as well as the 351 based version. They offer it in carbed or injected versions. I would side with the FE suggestion. I have had some in depth discussions with the Roush folks about their FE engines, they offer cast iron and aluminum versions. I can say that the aluminum version is based on the Shelby block, but there seemed to be some disagreement about who's iron block was used. The maker of the iron block seemed to take that very personally and resulted in some prolonged heated discussions following my conversations with both.
Now... Cal has a Windsor based 427 not an FE.
Dave,
both sets of photos are both of Roush 351 based 427s, ( 4.125 x 4.00 )the first one is as it says on the caption, a 427R, it has a Victor manifold. ( not sure about the back to front carb, though ) The second is a 427 IR with TWM induction.
Roush never offered a genuine 427 sized FE because nobody makes an off the shelf aftermarket 427 stroke crank ( 3.78 ) instead they do a 451 using the 428 size crank (3.98 ), which is available, and a 4.25 bore. They also do a 511.
The iron block Roush use for their FE is the Genesis, Ford Motorsport used to do some crate engines using the same block but gave up due to supply problems.
Mike

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,

I spent the Carlisle weekend sharing space with Roush and they indeed had a 427 alloy "Farm Engine" on a stand there.

I heard they did them but I thought the "427" in the picture was a Windsor, with Chris Melia's GW valve cover no less.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Dave
The iron block Roush use for their FE is the Genesis, Ford Motorsport used to do some crate engines using the same block but gave up due to supply problems.
Mike
I knew it was a Genesis block but when a Roush salesman denied it, while set up within 10 yards of the Genesis booth, a fist fight nearly broke out. The Roush guy had made several disparaging comments, including that they were junk, and the owner of Genesis went ballistic. It seems he does all the block machine work for Roush, from his comments pretty cheaply, and was pretty incensed.
I didn't want another fist fight to break out( because of me,LOL). Thankfully that's your baby now :).
I still think that engine looks to be an FE from how tight the headers are,compared to the ones in the other pic.. supposedly the same car, but the pipes are drasticly different. It is just as easy to use the wrong model # as it is to mis-indentify the engine,like the transaxle was. I thought those were the VC's that Roush used on their FEs...but again it's hard to see it. Since you are in England you may have first hand knowledge. I was just going on the pic.
Ron, you are correct regarding the second engine it is without a doubt a Windsor based engine the shot that shows the exhaust makes it easy to identify.. the first one isn't as clear or at as advantageous an angle.

Last edited:
Enlarge the pic up to 400%, definitely Windsor... the two vertical bolts in center of intake manifold between cyls 2&3 are just visible plus if it was an FE the spark plugs for 2&3 would be paired between those header pipes, they are not. FE header pipes would bolt up @ approx 45° from vertical, those are as per Windsor, just a few degrees off vertical.

by this type of set-up it looks like the fuel-line lays just above the extreme hot exhaust headers...
although it uses some shielding(silicone hose?) on some parts, the binding part still gets very hot me thinks...not really good?
or isn't that a problem...the 427R does not have that.

attachment.php

also which engine is best or most reliable when choose a around 550hp engine.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Enlarge the pic up to 400%, definitely Windsor... the two vertical bolts in center of intake manifold between cyls 2&3 are just visible plus if it was an FE the spark plugs for 2&3 would be paired between those header pipes, they are not. FE header pipes would bolt up @ approx 45° from vertical, those are as per Windsor, just a few degrees off vertical.

I guess 150% wasn't enough. After you point it out, I can just see the center vertical intake bolts though...even without the enlargement.

Back