I know that I will take crap for this but...

Greetings everyone.

I am currently in the market for a 40, however I live next to a cop who does NOT like loud exhaust (i know crazy?!?!).

I could use some suggestions regarding the quietest exhaust set up possible.

Thanks in advance.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Something you might consider is a quick disconnect exhaust so that you can please the powers that be while you roll out of the neighborhood and then within 5 minutes open up the pipes.

Otherwise, maybe talk with him and tell him that it's the way the cars are and that you'll be quick in and out of the neighborhood. You might find he's ok with the right car. :)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps some of our UK friends will chime in....they have some rather severe dB requirements to meet in order to pass their inspections.

One "solution" I've heard about is SuperTrap mufflers. The noise reduction results from "discs" attached at the end of the pipes.....the more discs, the more noise reduction.

At the risk of seeming insensitive, you might want to do some research and find out what kind of noise restrictions your city has.....your "cop" friend might just have to learn some tolerance if you can meet the letter of the law.

Doug

I have a similar problem, my neighbours are ok with it during the day, but at 6am on a Sunday morning......................

I bought a pair of Supertrapps and they work very well. I also have a 'Decibel insert' which is basically a tube that i have wrapped in exhaust wadding that i shove in the tail pipe. It is very restrictive on the engine but it gets me off the drive in relitive peace and quiet. I then take it out a few miles down the road. No complaints yet.

Jas

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Move to the country, all my neighbors come out when I take off and stand on the road waiting for a show. :) The cops in my area love my cars.

There was some experimenting with an electronic controlled baffle many years ago, it worked like Bose noise canceling head set, I guess it never worked but that would be a great thing to have. Just flip a switch and get quiet.

If you use reverse flow mufflers in back of 180-degree collectors, the exhaust will be pretty quiet at low throttle openings. You could add some additional resonators to kill more noise. As long as you don't flaunt things in front of your neighbor, I think you can keep him pretty happy, and still have reasonable horsepower.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Different thinking, Oversize (with cooling) starter with min 2 deep cycle batteries. get you down the street before ticking over.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Robert,

Where in Minnesota are you? I'm in Minneapolis myself.

There are ways to quiet them down - however - you will take a hit in the power department..

For daily use - I was looking into putting together an alternate muffler system for mine that would include an "X" pipe in front of the mufflers. The mufflers will most likely be a chambered design that I will be able to tune on the fly..
But first things first - I need to get it on the road and registered first.. I'm buried in the body-work stage right now..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings everyone.

I am currently in the market for a 40, however I live next to a cop who does NOT like loud exhaust (i know crazy?!?!).

I could use some suggestions regarding the quietest exhaust set up possible.

Thanks in advance.

The first thought that occurs to me is the old hot-rodder trick: cable-operated "cut-outs". These were a "lower case y" in front of the mufflers with a valve at the center that opened the side branch of the y to the atmosphere. But nobody wants to hack up their forty that way. What I'm thinking is you use them kinda backwards; the long straight section is appended or inserted just behind your mufflers. The side branch goes down to some big old Cadillac mufflers you buy at Pep Boys hidden down alongside the transaxle (where Mk IIs had "FIA" luggage boxes). The valve in quiet mode blocks the exhaust down stream of the branch (keeps it from exiting the normal tail pipes), thus forcing it through the big muffler(s).

Hmmm... just googled "exhaust cutouts" and found this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/electric-e...T2&zmam=15972153&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=21439G#

Doesn't even need to be cable operated. Hell, it could open automatically with RPM, throttle position, or GPS location.

Then there are the "psy ops" ideas, like paying your neighborhood garage band to practice around the time you leave or arrive.

Or get a family member to very noisily mow the lawn, run that unmuffled two-stroke string trimmer, take out the trash, etc. at that time. The same technical concepts that make your 40 quiet can be used to make your legal home maintenance equipment legally loud.

Or just generally encourage someone to be a worse (but legal) nuisance than you so your cop neighbor has someone else to focus on. Be sure to complain to him about them occasionally.

Last edited:

marc

Lifetime Supporter
quick wheres the patent office! LOL

I remember some racers doing this when they ran out of gas.

Install a subwoofer and speakers in the passenger seat. Big enough to fill the whole space.

Play at mega volume until 2 blocks from your home.

What exhaust?:D

Seriously though - it depends on how much "go" you want.

As has been said a number of times, if you want really big power, you have to have a big wallet, big skills and big cojones to match.

I'd be more than happy with 350hp, which is basically bog stock on quite a few crate motors. This is a reasonable compromise of driveability, heat management, gearbox needs, pucker factor and fuel consumption. Noise management is a relatively straightforward affair and if carefully planned won't be any more an issue than any other V8 powered sports car.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Put some steel wool loosely in the exhaust pipes. As soon as you're out of the neighborhood, hit the throttle HARD, and the resulting blast will blow the steel wool out of the pipes. Then, on your way home, stop, pick it up, and stuff it back in (or carry spare chunks). And motor quietly back into your garage...if you're worried about rust stains, bronze wool will work just as well.

THAT was easy!

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Preferably overnight, contact adhesive dirty big slabs of fibre based sound insulation, over the front of his house, being especially careful to screw his front door shut first.
Or, sign him up for all the special offers on hearing aids you can find, making sure they send him regular mail shots. Then when he complains, you can maintain that your exhaust vloume is normal and enquire whether he has had his hearing checked recently. That may put a doubt in his mind.
Glad to be of help.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Buy a 30 pack of beer and put one in his mailbox every time you drive by.........wait......wait I had a brain over rev.... buy a couple of dozen...............wait for it............ donuts and put one in his mailbox when you drive by. Ya... that el do er.

Maybe put him on a mailing list for domination sex wear. Then take some of his mail over to him and tell him you got his mail by mistake. Better yet give it to his wife. Ya, ya! That will do it! He will have plenty to think about besides your loud car.

Back