Weber Tuning Tutorial - On YouTube

Ron Earp

Admin
The weber tuning video that was being sold by some members of the site, or traded freely, is now available online at YouTube. The company that produced the video, Fast Freddy's, is still in business despite reports to the contrary. Mike got permission from Freddy to allow us to post it on Youtube, sent me his DVD, and I was able to upload it to YouTube.

So, here is the video in three parts:

Part 1
YouTube - Weber Tuning Part 1

Part 2
YouTube - Weber Tuning Part 2

Part 3
YouTube - Weber Tuning Part 3

Very basic but I hope it'll be useful to the community as a whole.

Okay, I'll bite and ask the stupid question - after watching those videos I have to wonder why anybody would want to use a Webber setup, or some of the more "exotic" setups like dual carbs?

It looks different, sure, but it's hard enough to get 1 carb absolutely perfect; I can't begin to imagine doing 2 or 4!

But will they outperform a single Holley 4150hp or dominator carb?

I'm not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand why somebody would choose that setup (aside from the unique look) over a single carb.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
From the standpoint of a novice, I think the unique look, combined with the historical significance, would be the main attraction.

However, I can imagine that each intake port having its own dedicated venturi might well have some tuning benefits.....if one can devise the technology to assure that the "contents" of each of the exhaust ports matches all the others. It just seems to me that the ability to change A/F mixture to each cylinder must have some sort of benefit in making an engine run smoothly.

But, then, I've never fiddled with any Webers, so I don't know....just speculating.

Doug

Alex,
In addition to Doug's comments, they are a pita to set-up but once dialed in are fantastic.
EFI every time for me though..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Jack's got it right....in the case of EFI, particularly direct port injection, they HAVE devised a method of controlling the fuel delivery so that the "contents" of the exhaust from each cylinder are identical. In addition, there is also the capability of "scheduling" the fuel injection spray so that it occurs earlier or later in the duration of the cycle that the intake valve is open...and I can envision many more "finite" adjustments (such as having 90% of the fuel delivered during the first 50% of the fuel delivery cycle, or during the last 50% of the fuel delivery cycle) that will have tuning applications.

Computer controlled EFI just seems to have so many application benefits.....so many, in fact, that I could imagine there might be no way to have the time to investigate the tuning advantages or disadvantages of each change to the fuel delivery cycle.

Doug

Having Webers on a GT40 is just sexy. Sure, EFI is more fuel efficient, easier to tune, and can look like Webers, but the challenge to get them right for us tinkerers, the original look, and the historical singificants, They are hard to beat.

Okay, I'll bite and ask the stupid question - after watching those videos I have to wonder why anybody would want to use a Webber setup?

Alex,
'Cause they're cool!
Same reason you would build & drive a cobra and a SLC. :thumbsup:

They may take a bit of tinkering to get set up right, but some people think it's worth it. If you can build 2 cars, you can probably tune webers.

John

Last edited:
Alex,
'Cause they're cool!
Same reason you would build & drive a cobra and a SLC. :thumbsup:

They may take a bit of tinkering to get set up right, but some people think it's worth it. If you can build 2 cars, you can probably tune webers.

John

This is the only reason I know how to tune a carb ... I cheat :D

lm2.jpg

Seems to me that there would be some $$$$ to be made from selling an oval type aircleaner lid for a 4bbl with some ram tubes glued on top, best of both worlds then, power & looks...but also a waste as you will be going so efnfast nobody will see them....

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
On the one hand, aestheticaly I want them so much I could die.

On the other hand, as an engineer, I see the efficiency of a shared venturi, smoothing out the individual cylinder pulsed flows and allowing the venturi to work under near ideal conditions - versus the backwards and forwards steam train like chuffing of a single venturi per cylinder requiring a fire suppression system to rival that of an aircraft, being off tune 90% of the timie and requiring 90% of your time to get them back in tune, leaving your nerves shot to pieces worrying that the backfires will reduce your pride and joy to ashes, there's noooooooo contest.

yes, I want them so much I could die:laugh:

Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
Seems to me that there would be some $$$$ to be made from selling an oval type aircleaner lid for a 4bbl with some ram tubes glued on top, best of both worlds then, power & looks...but also a waste as you will be going so efnfast nobody will see them....

Jac Mac, that has been done already. I saw some pictures on this forum of a fake Weber air cleaner and IIRC it was someone in the UK that had one or had pictures of one.

Okay, I'll bite and ask the stupid question - after watching those videos I have to wonder why anybody would want to use a Webber setup, or some of the more "exotic" setups like dual carbs?

It looks different, sure, but it's hard enough to get 1 carb absolutely perfect; I can't begin to imagine doing 2 or 4!

The sound! Especially under load. Nothing sounds as good. :pepper:

Attachments

• GT40 289 002 (Small).jpg
    GT40 289 002 (Small).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,187
  • GT40 289 004 (Small).jpg
    GT40 289 004 (Small).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • GT40 289 006 (Small).jpg
    GT40 289 006 (Small).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,475
Last edited:

Charlie M

Supporter
That's not cheating, it's just being smart! :thumbsup:

I totally agree, for both cars and bikes those AFR meters are worth their weight in gold. I just used mine to tune my 72 Harley after a carb change. This is the best it's run in the 20+ years I've owned it. Much easier than guessing or trying to read spark plug color.

I love the look of the Webers but I'm a big fan of EFI. I went with a TWM throttle body setup with an Accel Gen 7 EFI system. No jets to change, just plug in a laptop and tune away.

Charlie

Last edited:
Back