velocity stack filters

Paul
For a really simple solution try Tea strainers out of infusion tea pots, our local kitchen shop was selling the whole thing for less than $4.00...funny some are missing the strainer..
Cheers

Hi, I agree they look cool - but according to various material published by David Vizard they neither protect the engine from the kind of fine material that knackers the rings, or flow well.

Cheers, Andrew

Last edited:
If you are interested in the look of the strainers you first have to know the proper diameter of the stacks to begin with. Webers and FI units have different diameters and the entry to them vary widely from 48mm to 52. A search will give you items from 1 1/2" to 3" like these here:
Amazon.com: 3" Mesh Wonder Ball Tea Infuser by HIC: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more
and the price is easy to live with. How they attach is another problem to consider.
Strainer002.jpg

supportrear3.jpg

The filters on the webers above will actually disintegrate and is fairly restrictive, and do more harm than good.There was one system, Al's I believe, that actually fit down inside of the intake horns.
Alsmachinedairhornscreens.jpg

I used rivets with mine.
PA310349.jpg

You can see that there is a difference in the guage of the mesh used in the strainers.
If you are concerned with filtration then you have to decide what you want to use. There are some that cover four of the stacks at a time from people like Inglese and there are others. Sealing off the area around the stacks is not easy as you have a rear window, vibration and motor movement to contend with, and you can't depend on the side vents as they are too small. You can build a system out of Lexan that will give you the visibility of the stacks and give you filtration at the same time. I am working on a system to do just that. There are only a few examples that I know of. The first is Mike Trusty's.
FilterforvelocitystacksKNx2.jpg

34297-sm1454Rtside.jpg

Each type would be different because of the manufacturing of the FI system employed. Mine has elevated fuel rails to contend with.

Bill

I ran across several other systems for air filters. Jack Houpe has these on his TWM FI unit. He may still have a set for sale. The K&Ns are Mercedes units. As Jack suggested it is easier to make the covers and then go to K&N's site to pick out the filter size you would need. A lot depends on how high your engine sits and its proximity to the rear window.
TWMairfiltersJackHoupe.jpg

TWMairfiltersJackHoupe2.jpg

Back